1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with av setup !!!!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scottyfox, Aug 24, 2004.

1. scottyfox

scottyfox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ADVICE MUCH APPRECIATED.

I have been buying some new av equiptment, being totally new to the av world, i would appreciate some advice on which cables (optical, scart etc) and speaker cable is best suited to my needs.

My equiptment is:

Cambridge Azur 540 R AV
    Cambridge Azur 540 C CD
    Cambridge Azur DVD55
    Mordaunt Short MS904 Floorstanders
    Mordaunt Short MS904 Centre
    Mordaunt Short MS302 Sat Speakers
    Phillips 23 pf9945 with 2 scart sockets & component Video out????
    Pace Sky plus Box with audio out, optical out, s video.

What i am wanting is the best advise on how all this will all fit together, what connects to what and with what cable!!!

Obviously with the speaker cable, recommendations please.

scottyfox!!!

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    OK
    cd to amp with Mark Grant analogue cables
    dvd to amp with Mark grant Digital cable
    If dvd55 has componant out use that if not try a QED Squart RGB only cable for best picture to the tv scart 1
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1727
    Mark Grant also does componant cables. The profigold cable has good reviews and is a bit cheaper than Marks. :)
    Pace box to tv with scart. Optical out to amp. Dont spend more than £20 on the optical cable. Try profigold or QED.
    http://www.jarvisradio.com/optopt.htm
    Qed silver anniversary cable from amp to front and centre @ approx £4.50/ meter. There was someone on the classified forums selling it cheaper I think. Was also selling a cheaper qed cable for use with the rears. Or try :
    http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=100707
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1932

Obviously These are jsut recommendations as I have no idea how much you want to spend. I dont work for Mark Grant either :devil: Wish I did on a commision basis though :rotfl: I have some of his cables and find them superb for the price he charges :D

Look in the Power Buys Forum for MG stuff.

3. scottyfox

scottyfox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, for connecting the sky box i use scart to the tele, and optical cable from the sky box to the amp?

what are component cables, ime sure i was told i need an optical from the dvd to the amp?

4. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Simple guide - guessing you bought this from Richer Sounds!

SOUND

1) Connect your Cd Player (audio out) to the Amp (cd in) using Good quality phono leads or if the Cd has a Digital Output you could use that (coaxial is usually better than optical). If using the digital output you will need to tell the AMP that it is receiving a digital input from the CD player.

Treat the DVD player the same.

The reason for all the discussions between the different ways of connecting up is because it depends on the quality of the AMP and/or CD/DVD.

Most amps have good quality Digital to Analogue convertors in them (DACS - the thing that turns the data on the CD/DVD into the sound/picture you can hear and see).

So you have the choice of letting your CD/DVD player to do that job meaning the signal coming out of the analogue outputs of the CD is already converted into MUSIC

OR

You can send the digital data to the AMP (down a coaxial or optical cable) and let the DAC in the amp do the converting instead. Maybe get a set of each cables and see which sounds better to your ears.. most decent hifi shops will lend you some cables to play with if you leave a deposit.

If you decide to send the digital signal to the amp you must remember to tell the amp it is to recieve digital signals from these two inputs.

PICTURE

If the DVD player has component outputs (these do your picture) then connect them to the component inputs on your TV. If these input/outputs are not available then SCART connections are your next best bet (QED do some decent ones). Make sure you connect to RGB inputs...(would guess that the two inputs on the TV will both be RGB but check the manial) - Depending on which connections you choose you will have to tell your DVD player in the menu bit which you are using - say for SCART its RGB output and whether your TV is widescreen etc etc. As for component I am not sure as I dont have the luxury of that as its the best connection to use if available so if you can use Component wait and see what someone else suggests as I have no idea in this area

CABLES

Your budget will dictate what cable you can afford but a good allrounder in QED Silver Anniversary at around £5 per meter....try and use the same speaker cable throughout the entire system. Its something you can upgrade as you go on depending on your budget and it can make a real difference. If you did get it from RS I am surprised they have let you go without offering to help you with the cables. I know the QED scarts are quite good at around £40 each.

SKY +

For the Sky box - use a Scart connection (or a component out if its there) to the TV and use the digital output for the sound from the Sky + box into a digital input on the AMP as Sky + movies are broadcast in Dolby Digital if available on the first 5 movie channels I think. That way your AMP will decode the Dolby Digital signal

Each input such as your CD player, your DVD player etc will need to be set up on your AMP... the instruction manual should tell you how you do it..... Just remember whether you have used digital or analogue connections and then tell the amp accordingly. Basically you are telling the AMP whether its getting an analogue signal or digital signal? Its worth writing down the inputs you use on the amp for each source as you wire up so you can then set up the amp without having to keep looking behind it!

It sounds scary but try one thing at a time - I would suggest you do your speakers first... dont worry if you aint got cable yet as you can use the ones out of the box so at least you can play with your new kit now.... then set up 1 item at a time and test it out...

Dont think there is anything I have missed but writing all this has made me realise how complicated it can seem so I may have missed something.

Sure there are many different ways of doing this but dont think I am too far off the mark in what I have suggested... happy viewing a listening...

Andy

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    Optical is one of two options. There isn't a huge difference but a good coaxial cable is usually better. Given how many items need opticals these days it is also best to save them if you can. Component is a three phono picture only connection that works in a way I don't understand but looks very nice if done properly.

6. scottyfox

scottyfox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, certainly did buy from Richer sounds?

are digital and optical cables the same? i know it sounds stupid but, i dont know, lol

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    A lot of us started in good old richer sounds and some even worked for em !!
    They do the same job but in different ways. Optical use light to transfer digital signels and digital coax uses electricity to transfer digital signels. Over shorter (under 5 meters) digital is better than optical cables.

You have some nice kit there btw Scottyfox.:smashin:

8. endora

endora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hope you will be happy with the 540R because I have returned it to RS as there were too many unsoved bugs...

9. scottyfox

scottyfox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dfour, do you reccomnd the Mark Grant optical for the connections between the sky and amp aswell as the dvd and amp

scottyfox

10. scottyfox

scottyfox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do i want to bi wire my speakers or not. On my previous cambridge hi fi i didnt bi wire, and i thought the sound was excellent!

is there a significant improvement in sound?

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    TBH i didnt even realise he did an optical cable now lol. You dont have to biwire them to get the best out of them, just replace the brass interconnects with the speaker cable you are using and then you get most of the effects for less price and cables.:smashin: there is an arguement to wether it makes any differance or not. I feel it does but im a perpetual tweaker:devil:

12. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hope its all working now and incase anyone thought I was taking RS's name in vain that was not the case... I love the fact I get decent gear at half the cost. Was just surprised they had not helped you more with the cabling side of things.

As an aside... these Mark Grant Cables... how do I get some or find out about them

Cheers

Andy

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Andymc
    The Mark grant cables are available in the Power Buys forum To find out about them do a search ofr posts about them on here:D If you look through the pages you will see how many forum members own them.;)

I am suprised that RS didnt sell you all the cables that you needed as I remember then doing that for me. Weird that.

14. scottyfox

scottyfox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my tele has 2 scart sockets, it saiys only 1 id RGB? what is rgb and what will the other scart be???

at a loss, help would be appreciated.

scottyfox

15. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    RGB is the best one to use as it will give you the best picture. You need to make sure that what ever source you plug into the RGB socket - (I assume it will be your DVD player) is set to output RGB signals. You will find this in the set up menu for the player. Normally under scart sockets or TV/Picture settings.