Help with AV/RF for SEGA Megadrive...

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by minister3333, Sep 21, 2007.

1. minister3333

minister3333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've currently got my PC and Playstation 2 hooked up to my computer monitor, an Advent 17E-TV. The monitor has a "TV Box" screwed onto the back of it, enabling the plugging in of phono/SCART leads and it also has a regular TV Ariel socket ('RF') on the back.

[​IMG]

The PS2 plugs into the x3 phono sockets on the back of the monitor (Red/Yellow/White sockets), while the PC goes through the regular VGA plug.

I now wish to plug in my SEGA Megadrive II (2) to the same monitor. My problem though is getting the Megadrive picture to appear on the monitor.

I've plugged the regular Megadrive RF Ariel lead into the monitor's Ariel socket and switched to the TV channels to manually tune in the Megadrive picture. I can certainly find it, but it is unstable: It is frozen on one game screen (or 'frame'?). If you change channels on the monitor and then come back to the Megadrive channel, the picture is still frozen, but it has advanced to a newer picture/scene. It should be noted that the sound is absolutely ok, never stops/freezes and continues on regardless of what the picture is showing.
    Thus it seems as if the monitor can't display the Megadrive picture 'live' when using the RF Ariel input.

[​IMG]

So I got hold of a Megadrive II AV lead which has the three Yellow/Red/White phono plugs on the end. This simply plugs into the back of the Megadrive and into the monitor's x3 phono sockets. However, this time the 'Video' picture (the monitor's AV Source channel, which the monitor uses to receive the x3 phono input) remains blank. When the Megadrive is turned on, the Video picture flicks off and on, as if it's acknowledging the input signal, but with the Megadrive the Video picture simply goes back to being the 'blank' video screen. In contrast, the PS2 phono Video input also prompts this intial 'flick' of the Video channel, but then it displays the PS2 loading screen normally.

[​IMG]

So does anyone have successful experience of hooking up their Megadrive through an RF Ariel socket or with an AV Phono lead?

I suspect the problem may be something to do with the 'Frequency' of the monitor. At the start of various PS2 games, the player is asked whether they wish to play the game in 50mHz or 60mHz. Both of these game modes work on my Advent monitor.
    However, in the TV Box's (on the back of the monitor, into which the Megadrive AV/RF lead plugs) own Menu it gives the option to switch the TV Box's Frequency between 60mHz and 75mHz. I wonder if the Megadrive uses 50mHz and this is not 'supported' by the Advent TV Box, since it only offers the option of switching between 60mHz and 75mHz? On the other hand, PS2 games work fine when the game is selected as 50mHz and the monitor's TV Box is set to 60mHz.

So does anyone have any ideas? Help? :lease:

Thanks.
    minister3333

P.S. I can post up some pics of actual screen shots to help explain?....

2. quidditys_shore

quidditys_shore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    have you tried it on your regular tv? i know it sounds stupid but you never know! lol

3. minister3333

minister3333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your suggestion "quidditys_shore".

Of course I've used the Megadrive on a regular Television and both the RF and AV leads are just fine. The issue here is with hooking up the Megadrive to the computer monitor via the 'TV Box' on the back of the monitor.

I think it might be a question about Frequency's (as mentioned in my original post) but I've no expertise in that area and hence I need people's help here. Or maybe the Megadrive picture isn't coming through the 'TV Box' properly because of some other reason? I don't know...

Can anyone else help please? :confused:

4. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    the megadrive was 50mhz,even when playing a japanese/american game.

5. silsila

silsila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've seen this before, but with a Neo Geo. The scaler is interpreting the signal wrongly. The solution with the neo geo was to force it into 60hz. The trouble with a PAL Megadrive is the 60hz signal is non-standard and will probably give you a black and white picture. The only I can think of is plugging the composite leads into a video or dvd recorder and then plugging this into the scaler to see if it brings it up.
    Hope this helps.