Help with AV Receiver uprade

shaf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new AV Receiver and would like your help in deciding which one. I've been using a Onkyo 605 for a number of years now it's time to upgrade (more HDMI inputs, network, 3d etc).

I have looked at the cheapest option which is a Denon 2113 which seems like it will do the job. But I cannot decide if I should spend some more and get more features and quality. I've looked at the Denon 3313 which looks great and has many features but then that places it in the class to the Onkyo 818.

If I am upgrading then I would like something that sounds better than my current AV Receiver.

My speakers are: Kef 3005 fronts and rears, Monitor Audio R225HD, B&W PV1 sub.

Do you plan on upgrading the speakers?
If not then the 3313 would need better speakers to get the full benefit of it. Hence I would say either get the 2113 or maybe move up to the 2313.

Maybe upgrade the speakers at some point - no plans yet.

Would you consider the monitor audio r270 floor standers an upgrade?

The R270 would improve music playback but not sure how much, if any of an improvement they will be for av use, The 3313 would still need better speakers than the radius to get the best from it. As a guide I would be looking at the Apex range to go with the 3313. The 2113 or 2313 would both be consistent with the quality of the radius speakers so would be good options.

No I don't have the budget for those speakers am afraid. Look nice though.

Do the speakers matter as much if I am only using for movies and very little music?

Do the speakers matter as much if I am only using for movies and very little music?

The speakers are as important as the receiver powering them. There's no reason why you cannot use less expensive speakers with the AVR3313 though. I'm currently powering Monitor Audio BX with an AVR3313 and although I know that I'd be better off with the RX speakers I'm still relatively happy with the results I'm getting ;)

Last edited:
Would the Denon 2311 be a set up from my current Onkyo in terms of quality or would it be similar?

Do you mean the 2313? The 2311 and 2313 would both be a step up from your current receiver.

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation, currently have Onkyo 606 and Kef 3005se, front, back and some monitor audio rears.

In this price bracket I'm thinking the Pioneer SC-LX56 offers the best value (you can pick them up at £899 at the moment due to the £200 cash back). Main advantage for me over the denon is the 11 channel (I want some height speakers).

Comments appreciated.

Jonny

Thanks.

No I mean the 2311 - it's on a for a decent price (£280) and I can't seem to make my mind up. :)

The 2313 would give dual HDMI out and more connections but do I need them? I'm therefore thinking get the 2311 now and upgrade again when I need the extras. Good logic or bad? :)

The 2311 is 2 years old or more now so do not think that is a great price to be honest considering the 2313 is currently £450 for a new receiver with full warranty.

I think you may be right and the 2313 does seem like the better option - and like you say it's newer too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom