Help with AV Receiver & sound card settings for best results!

Dom1984

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently purchased a Yamaha RV-V377 AV receiver and Tannoy HTS101 5.1 speaker system.

I was just wondering what general settings people are using, for movies and music etc?

(Movie, Music, Surround decode, and Straight are the modes I have to play with)

Does it switch to DTS/DTS HD mode automatically?

Also, could someone explain a little about my sound card settings, I can go into the sound card properties, and change the format from 16-bit 32000Hz - 24-bit 192000Hz.

Now, as soon as I switch to anything above 96000Hz (24-bit 96000Hz is the highest I can set it to without having the modes restricted), it disables the surround decode and movie/music modes on my receiver and locks it into "Straight mode".

Why is this and what should I set it to?

Also, when configuring my speakers in windows, should the satellites be set as full range speakers?

I don't have a sound card in my computer, I'm going straight from my PC to the receiver using HDMI, is there anything I should be doing to set it up correctly, so that my receiver is doing all the work and is getting the cleanest possible sound?

Also, the surround decoder settings are Pro Logic and Neo 6, which is best?

My computer is the only input, so want to get it all setup and tweaked as best I can.

Would the "straight" mode always be better, and if I used that would it automatically switch between the sources original audio format DTS/DTS-HD etc? According to the copy I was using (DVD, BLUE-RAY etc).

Any help appreciated,

Cheers.

If audio is encoded with a discrete format which includes more channels than the mode you've engaged then the mode is overrridden and the format itself is given priority. Pseudo surround modes such as Pro Logic are overridden by discreteformats such as DTS or Dolby Digital.

The folllowing what most use:

FOR MUSIC STRAIGHT or PURE DIRECT. Some also like to use surround modes, but this isn't to everybody tasye.

TV Pseudo surround modes such as Dolby Pro Logic II. Such a mode will give you pseudo suuround in conjunction with stereo content, but is overridden by disctret Dolby Digital 5.1 when present.

BLU-RAY and/or DVD Discs are more often than not encoded with discrete surround formats such as Dolby Digital, TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio. Such suuround formats are superior to any pseudo surround processing so really don't need such modes. The discrete formats would override the pseudo modes anyway.

You shouldn't be modifying the audio in anyway via your PC or its soundcard. Simply output it as a bitsream and let the AV reciver deal with it. Speaker sizes, bass management etc are dealt with by the receiver so don't use the PC to restrict what is being output to the receiver.

Thanks for the advice Dante, how exactly do I make sure my PC is giving the best output then, just put everything back to default? I would assume disabling my PC audio would be best but then I get no sound at all. I can currently choose between Realtek HD audio, or AMD HD audio. I disabled Realtek HD audio and went with AMD HD audio seeing as its going through my graphics card.

Should I at least configure my speakers in windows? The default is all set to stereo full range speakers, should I leave them set to full range 5.1 and restore the bit depth and Hz back down to default?

Also, what do you mean by just output it as a bitstream?

On a separate note, what should I set my crossover frequency at via the sub woofer? And what exactly does the phase switch do?

I currently have the crossover set at 100Hz (from 50-200), exactly at the halfway point, and my satellites are rated to 100Hz I think, is this correct? Or should I have it on max and let the receiver set the crossover?

I'm a noobie to all this audio wizardry.

Cheers guy ;)

No, do nothing in relation to bass management via windows. Use the receiver to deal with speaker sizes and bass management. Bitstream is the streaming of audio as it was packaged rather than having the source device decode the audio. On the PC, set speakers as being full range and specify 5.1. Use the AMD HD option and the associated graphic card's audio output. I pressume this to be HDMI?

Configure the crossovers and speakers sizes via the receiver as opposed to the PC. If your speakers are rated 100Hz then the crossover should be no lower than 100Hz. I'd suggest you set your speakers as being SMALL with a crossover of 120Hz via the setting on the receiver. This will divert frequencies at and below 120Hz away from your speakers and redirect those frequencies to your active subwoofer connected to the receiver's LFE/sub pre out.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom