Help with AV and network setup for new construction

Tez40

Novice Member
My home is currently being built and I am a novice when it comes to AV and home networks, so the information I've read on these forums has been more than helpful. Here is how I envision my home AV and network setup but need some help in what I need to buy to pull it off. There will be 26 Cat6 wires run down to a basement mechanical room from various rooms, along with 24 RG6 coax. The AVR, modem, router, and satellite TV reciever will all be located in the basement. The family room, which has 3 Cat6 and 2 RG6, will have a 5.1 surround system attached to the AVR in the basement, controlled by RF to IR Universal Remote controller. The PS4 will also be in the family room since the blue tooth remotes won't work if it's down in the basement with everything else. Questions:
1) I assume I will need HDBaseT single Cat6/HDMI baluns with 3D support for both the Family Room HDTV and PS4 for this setup to work, correct? I believe this leaves me with one extra Cat6 in the Family Room to either plug into the PS4 for internet or into the TV for internet (both have wireless capability too, not sure which one to plug in to ethernet). Will this setup work? Suggestions for the HDBaseT HDMI/Cat6 baluns?
2) What other networking equipment do I need? Goal is to run gigabit... Do I need a gigabit modem, router, and switch? If a switch, how many ports will I need, does it need PoE, does it need to be managed or unmanaged? I will also need to plug in the AVR, Sonos Connect, and Satellite TV receiver located in the basement into the network as well.
3) Any suggestions for this setup or an alternate setup? Any specific brands or models of equipment that you would suggest?

Thank you in advance for any help, much appreciated!!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Is it just the Family room you wish to deliver HD to from the Satellite Receiver and PS4?

If you plug the PS4 in as a 'local' Source to the family room TV via HDMI you can take optical audio down to the basement via a single CAT cable.

Joe

Tez40

Novice Member
Thanks Joe. By local source, do you mean plug the PS4 directly into the TV via HDMI, then run the audio out from the PS4 down to the Denon in the basement via Cat6? How would this setup work and what would I need to purchase? Thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Tez40

Yes locate the PS4 near the TV and connect it via HDMI to the TV - then you can extend the Optical Out of the PS4 over a single CAT cable (drop me a PM and I'll link you to options).

You will use the IR/RF controller to switch the AVR to the relevant audio Input and that's it.

Joe

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
1) full fat HDbaseT carries ethernet and video so both can be on wired network (dont forget Wi-Fi APs around the property for internet and sonos control etc on ipads, tablets phones, laptiops

2) Router, network switch, Wi-Fi AP's (PoE is noce as it makes deploying AP's easier but Gigabit PoE switches are not cheap perhaps a 16 port gigabit and 8 port PoE is a better option

3)Why put AVR in basement? Especially if PS4 is in the family room, going add cost reduce flexibility and for what benefit?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom