• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with AV amp/rec with sony speakers

bezza123

Standard Member
Hi

Im very new to all this AV chatter! Ive had a look around the forums but cant seem to find an answer to my question.

Basically ive got a Sony DAV-DZ260 all in one home surround system and I was going to completely replace it with a better system, I was looking at -- but as Ive just spend £800 on a new tv I think the misses is getting a bit ****** off! So I was thinking of keeping my current speakers and just replacing the AV unit is this ok to do? The sound is good enough for me at the mo the only issue ive got really is there is no control over bass and treable so sometime I have to turn the volume quite low on movies because the bass is so loud and i live in a maisonette so got neighbors above and next door!

If I can do this what suggestions would you give for a budget/starter AV amp/rec? the cheaper the better really.

Any help greatly appreciated

thanks
Wayne :thumbsup:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Just looked at the manual and the short answer is no you can not use your current speakers with an AV reciever. This is because the speakers are only 3 ohms which is too low for an Av reciever (will put too much load on it and could damage it) and the sub is a passive one and all AV recievers need an active sub.
If you give a budget then we can suggest some alternatives. As a guide £400 should easily get you a reciever and set of speakers. Although these will be budget separates they will sound a lot better than your all in one system and also give much more control over volume/levels etc. If you list the sources you have and budget a suitable suggestion can be made.

bezza123

Standard Member
Hi

Thanks for your reply, I missed out a bit of the message I meant to say I was looking at the ONKYO HT-S5405 not sure how I missed that out!

I've got a ps3 and virgin TiVo box which are both hdmi connection, my 3D hdtv and thats about it for connections. I watch a fair bit of tv and watch movies.

In terms of budget, well the cheaper the better really £300-£400 I guess I could stretch to if it's possible to get a decent set up for that? If not then suggest something and I'll just have to save up for it and put up with my crappy Sony all in one for a bit haha.

Thanks again for your help

Wayne

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 5405 is a reasonable system for the money and at least has an active sub (unlike the 3405) which makes upgrading in the future easier.
Other options would be to look at the Denon 1611/1911, Yamaha 467/567/667, Sony 810 or Onkyo 508/509. These are all being sold off at the moment due to be last years models but will have all the features you need. These could then be paired with something like the Jamo A102 (Yamaha/Denon) or Tannoy SFX (ONkyo/Sony) or Boston Accoustic soundware xs.

bezza123

Standard Member
OK so ive decided to go with the Sony STRDH810 and Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 speakers.

So my question is which speaker wire to use and what terminal connectors do I need (if thats even the right term!) ??

Ideally I dont wont to be spending huge amounts on this but at the same time I guess theres no point in useing really cheap stuff if its going to inpair the sound quality?

I have spent an hour or so reading through previous posts but Im not sure if I can use any cable or if I need something specific to complement my set up properly?

Also is there anything else i may need?

Thanks
Wayne

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You will need a sub cable (shielded phono cable) but no need to spend more than £10 on one. As for speaker cable both the speakers and the reciever will take bare wire connections so no need to buy banana plugs. You can buy them if you want as they can make connections (especially on the back of amp) easier and neater. On the speaker cable some 2.5mm oxygen free cable from ebay (for under £1 per metre) will be fine for your system. If you want to pay a little more then Van Damme Blue is a good choice for a little more.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom