Help with Audyssey MultEQ + Dynamic EQ - etc

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by LongStrength, Sep 11, 2012.

1. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi,

I ran the Audyssey setup and in the parameters I can choose to have MultEQ, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume

Which of these should I use? would I get the best sound reproduction if I just used the MultEQ? (room correction I think!?!?!) I am noob - I have googled and read about this but in truth I do not fully understand and would just appreciate some advice from some experienced users.

Thanks - this is for movies and games and accurate reproduction is important to me.

I have the Denon 1610 with Dali Zensor 1 and Dali Zensor Vokal and will be upgrading my Jamo A102 satellites and sub later this year.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. Woodymogs

Woodymogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi LongStrength,

I really like the room correction applied by MultiEQ even though I'm a bit of a stickler for not messing around with the sound too much. It is important to run the set up procedure properly though, to get the best results even if it does mean doing 8 mic placements (on the XT32 version).

In the past I've had top of the range Yamaha amps but was never that impressed with some of their DSP correction/enhancement modes but Audyssey is in a different league, IMHO, so long as you take care setting it up right.

Dynamic EQ is Audyssey's way of compensating for listening to, say, film soundtracks at less than 'reference level' in the home by attempting to correct frequency response and surround sound levels to try and create an impression of what they would be like at 'reference level'. Personally, I think it works really well with films although you could argue that it is moving farther away from the original soundtrack and may not be to everyone's liking.

Dynamic volume is a more aggressive method of sound 'enhancement' which compresses loud and quiet sounds to a more constant level. I'm not keen on this at all as it will really alter the way a film or piece of music is heard.

As you've run the set up then at least give MutiEQ a listen and see if you think it has enhanced the sound of your room/system. If so, then try turning on Dynamic EQ if you can't/don't play back movies at reference level, and see what you think of that. But I'd definitely leave Dynamic Volume off, but try it if you want and see how you feel about it.

3. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks very much or this I really appreciate it and it has helped me make a mroe informed choice abotu what I am turning on and off after running audyessy.

Just oen more thing, should I have cinema EQ on or off?

4. Woodymogs

Woodymogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think cinema EQ is probably something to do with video processing but I don't really know much about that so I'll leave it to someone else to answer. If all else fails, just switch it on and off and see what sort of difference it makes to the picture. Enjoy!

5. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    It is intended to present the soundtrack more accurately, rather than move away from it.

6. Morganwg

Morganwg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I have the onkyo 809 (MulteqXT) with the dali zensor 5 package and I set dynamic eq on and set dynamic volume to light, as I don't really listen at high volumes due to the mum-in-law downstairs!!!!
    This works fine for me, and I think it sounds great. It is really down to personal taste so have a play around and see what suits you best.
    As the previous post says getting the right measurements is key to a good soundfield in your listening position, I would also recommend another sub if you have any issues with bass nulls in the soundfield where you notice the bass is weaker, I use 2, not all the time, but mainly to improve the bass for music as I feel that the audyssey calibration is fine for films but leaves it lacking for music.
    Make sure you use a decent stand for the mic, and place it at ear level, start at the main listening position then take another 2 measurements left and right of this and I measure in front of the 3 seater sofa 5 positions, again all at ear level or the way I do it is at the level of the back of the sofa. As long as you can get 8 measurments around the seating area it will give good results. Stick a film on and enjoy!!!!:)

7. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Many thanks

8. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +158
  9. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Some very useful info, but there are a lot of variables - making it difficult to cover everything in a short video.

I'd recommend not having the Mic stand between the Mic and the Front speakers. Also, his recommendation of moving the Mic forward by 1m for the 2nd set of 3 measurements would be fine in a large room, but isn't going to work as well in a small room.

10. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use Audyssey to set my system but find that the surround speakers are always set to loud and the sub woofer set too low - for my personal taste that is. So I run it to set up and then tweak to taste. I find that the Movie EQ mode really enhances things but I don't use the Dynamic Volume, which seems to be a basic compressor, as I find it too aggressive, even on the Light setting.

11. Gboardman1959

Gboardman1959

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Anybody got a link for a decent mic stand

12. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    Cinema EQ is best left off if you're using MultEQ etc. Basically, it's a filter that rolls off high frequencies slightly so you can tame any soundtracks that are overly bright/harsh. In the old days before EQ came along it was quite handy. Not really needed nowadays though.

13. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Many thanks mate, this was an old post though lol

14. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    :laugh: Wasn't looking at the date...lol.

15. sutton8

sutton8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I've just switched dynamic volume and eq back on on my denon 3312. It's like using a different amp. The sound is fuller and getting far more bass. Using the day setting. A much more satisfactory sound.

16. raptor8

raptor8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi I have the Denon 1713. What can I use instead of a mic stand? I placed the mic ontop of a chair and sofa when I originally set it up....

17. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    I use a cheapo 20 quid camera tripod from Argos. Does the job nicely.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012