Help with aspect ratios

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andrewtayloruk, Oct 9, 2005.

1. andrewtayloruk

andrewtayloruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I'm new to this DVD stuff and I've just set it all up and watched my first DVD.

Toshiba 42WH38B Rear Projection Widescreen TV
    Denon DV1720

I've got surround sound as well but I don't think it figures in my problem.

The DVD is connected via component and comes up as EXT4. I've got the Denon setup as 16:9 mode, interlaced mode (TV doesn't support progressive scan).

The disc was region 2 Con Air (I believe the re-released version).

Initially the TV was in 'wide' mode, with the two vertical black bars, I used the remote to change it to 'cinema' which removes the black bars by expanding the picture. About half-way through the movie (a little while after the layer change) the picture started changing of it's own accord between the fullscreen 'cinema' mode and the standard wide screen.

Can anyone shed any light on this, the change occured maybe twenty or more times. I was under the impression the use of component removed the ability to 'auto-switch', if this is the case, how could the aspect change? Also, it didn't seem as if the selected mode was actually changing, just the picture, as, the normal 'wide' or 'cinema' message didn't come up.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the DVD player, or, could it be the TV.

Thanks

Andrew

2. nutrut

nutrut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Andrew

Does this problem occur on other discs or just con air?

3. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is nothing wrong with either, I have a Tosh 42pw23 which attempts to do the same thing with my Denon 2900 connected with component also, after the Tosh auto switches to wide, ( I don't use cinema, always wide for DVDs), I then cycle through the picture ratios back to wide again, ie you tell the TV which ratio you want, not a signal from the player, otherwise the picture will start changing ratios, especially on some older non anamorphic discs. It may not be the same in the cinema aspect, as I say I do not use it.
    Your other option would be to switch off the automatic format in the features menu on the Tosh, and manually set the ratio all the time :eek:
    I assume you have RGB switched off on the Denon.

4. andrewtayloruk

andrewtayloruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've not checked any other discs, I might get through a view next weekend :)

I've turned off the automatic format option so we'll see what happens. I'm not bothered about auto-ratio switching, that's what the remotes are for.

thanks

Andrew