Help with Architectural Components

huai

Novice Member
I have a modern style living room and would like to create a mixed use home theater system. 99% of the use will be watching streaming video content. Design aesthetic is of utmost importance. I need your help with 3 decisions

1) 5.1.2 vs 5.1.4 layout
2) In wall passive vs external powered sub
3) Specific component recommendations.

Here is a 3d view of the room I built using room styler. I am also attaching photos of the actual room to help visualize to the bottom of this post.

5.1.2 vs 5.1.4
The primary issue is the lack of space behind the MLP. Two possibilities please give me your thoughts on pros and cons. My budget is $3,000-$5,000 for amp & speakers. I'll do the install myself. 5.1.2 is basically the recommended configuration from Dolby in my situation. 5.1.4 is what I drew based on some threads I read here. Would love to hear your thoughts from those who have built my version of 5.1.4.

5.1.2.png
5.1.4.png

Sub:
Two options here (as in diagrams above)
1) Put it in wall as pictured on the 5.1.4 diagram or elsewhere in the room. Risks are dead spots in the room without ability to move, and additional cost for the amp.
2) Pull a wire to the back wall and hide the sub under the corner table.

Specific Equipment Recommendations:
I am a complete newbie when it comes to HiFi equipment. I would like to go for a fully architectural solution with in-wall (Center, L, R and Surrounds) and in-ceiling (Atmos) speakers. For the sub I laid out the 2 options above. All equipment will live in that white hung cabinet under the TV. I plan to control it via Arc from the TV or with an IR repeater. There is no ventilation in there, so amp has to be one that operates with minimal heat. I don't know if that means D class (and I don't see class listed on Amps from B&H or Crutchfield).

I am not a super duper audiofile so looking for "workhorse" type solutions that will provide reliable components at appropriate cost without getting into some uber custom high end stuff. I'll do the install myself. The sound bar + satellites is coming out.

Looking for specific brands, models, ideally with a link to the product please:

Display: OLED 65" C9

Amp:
Sub (+ Sub Amp optionally):
Fronts:
Center:
Surrounds:
Tops:

Photos:

LR3.jpg
LR2.jpg
LR1.jpg

LR4.jpg

huai

Novice Member
I did some research on prices and settled on 5.1.2 Polk system with external powered subwoofer

265LS + 255C LS for the front
RC-60s for ceiling
85i for the back

Haven't figured out the AMP & Subwoofer yet.

Where do you all get your cables & random stuff like cover plates from? Looking @ Crutchfield, those random parts add up to a significant percentage of the cost.

huai

Novice Member
Thanks Harkon. For speaker wire, how do you terminate it into the speaker and into the wall plate?

Harkon321

Depends on your preference. Previously I've used bare cable. I'm part way through my current build and will be using banana plugs receiver end and bare cable in to the speaker terminals. Don't introduce additional connections unless you need to, just adds another point of failure.

huai

Novice Member
Depends on your preference. Previously I've used bare cable. I'm part way through my current build and will be using banana plugs receiver end and bare cable in to the speaker terminals. Don't introduce additional connections unless you need to, just adds another point of failure.

Banana plug between wire and back of wall plate or between front of wall plate and receiver?

huai

Novice Member
Here is the finished product. The only surprise was the back wall which was 3" deep and I needed to overnight some polk rc65i's

Did all the wiring myself- total cost was around $1,100 with all the bibs and bobs

I am very happy with the results, sounds amazing - and passes the wife test both audio and visually

All I need to do now is catch a 77" GX series OLED tv on Sale

Attachments

• 20201223_120805.jpg
    20201223_120805.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20201223_120752.jpg
    20201223_120752.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 35

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom