1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Anamorphic....?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Firefox, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Firefox

Firefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Hi , I own a Toshiba SD100E DVD player , and a Philps 32PW9616 Widescreen tv ,
    Am i right in thinking that if I play a anamorphic dvd Film in my player it should fill the whole screen..?
    Whenever i watch a anamorphic dvd i still have black bars at the top and bottom of the picture , is this normal...?
    I have my dvd connected to my tv through RGB Scart ,
    I must admit I am fairly new to Home cinema and still dont quite understand exactly what anamorphic discs do , from the info i have read it has lead me to believe it should fill the whole screen on my tv , Am i correct in thinking this way , and if so can anyone think of any reason why the image is not being displayed full screen , I have set up the dvd player to let it know i have a Widescreen TV ,I even went out and brought a expensive scart lead , still no joy
    Thanks in advance for any help

2. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Let's see, what anamorphic does is basically squeeze vertically the image to maximize the information capacity of DVD. A widescren TV detects an anamorphic signal input and unsqueezes it.

But this does not imply that you will fill your screen completely. It depends on the aspect of the movie.
    A movie shot in 2.35:1 (such as The Matrix) will always have black bars at the top & bottom (but they will be smaller than in a 4:3 telly).
    A movie shot in 1.85:1 (such as Almost Famous) will fill up your widescreen TV almost completely.
    A movie shot in 1.33:1 (such as Casablanca) will have vertical black bars on the right & left sides of the image.

For a more intuitive and complete explanation, see The Ultimate Guide to Widescreen DVD for Dummies.

Enjoy!

[ 13-07-2001: Message edited by: Grubert ]

[ 13-07-2001: Message edited by: Grubert ]

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all depends what ratio the film was made in.
    Look on the back of the box. If it is anamorphic 2.35.1, you will still see small black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. If it is anamorphic 1.85.1 then the image should just about fill the screen.
    Some films are reformatted for dvd and are actually in the 16.9 ratio. This is how sky butcher their films for Premiere Widescreen.
    Personally I, like the majority of HT fans, preferthe film in it's original ratio.