Help with an Alpha 9 amp...

endora

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just received my Alpha 9 which will replace my Delta 290. I have not been able to test it as I wanted as all my speaker cables are on banana plugs and it seems that the Alpha 9 only accepts BFA plugs.

Anyone knows if adapter from Banana to BFA can be found? I might just buy BFA plugs but it is not my best option for the moment as I like to test friend's amp on my speakers.

Also, I have connected my AV Receiver pre-out to the Alpha 9 processor in and put the switch on the back panel to "processor" mode. I would like to know if I only need to turn the selection knob from CD to Processor to listen to a DVD for example or if I also need to press the "Tape2/Processor" on the front panel everytime?
Basically, I would like to know if I need to move my heavy bottom to press the front switch on the alpha 9 everytime I switch from listening a CD to the AV receiver and vice-versa?

Thanks for your help.

If you unscrew the binding posts enough you should find a hole that will just about fit a bananna plug. It's not an ideal solution but it will do while you test the amp.

As far as the front processor switch goes, I think you do need to get up and press the front switch each time. That's the way it works on both my Arcam pre-amps so I guess the intergrateds will be the same.

Let us know how you get on with it and how it compares to your other Arcam amps.

Tim

As far as the front processor switch goes, I think you do need to get up and press the front switch each time. That's the way it works on both my Arcam pre-amps so I guess the intergrateds will be the same.

I've got an integrated Alpha 9 and yes, you need to manually switch it every time. It's all exercise, I guess! :smashin:

Thanks for your reponses.

I have tried the banana plugs in the small hole but the plugs are very near from one another and I fear a short-circuit.

What I will try tomorrow is biamping using the Alpha 9 as a pre-amp and power for the lows and the Delta 290 for the highs.

And hopefully on Saturday, I will get the A75+ and will try to buy some "universal" plugs if I find any.

Again it's not an ideal solution but you can stick a bananna plug in the hole for the cable on a BFA plug and then tighten the screw. It's not the best long term option but it will do while you continue to experiment.

Thinking about it, it seems to be weird that you have to switch the processor button everytime, especially as there is already a switch for this on the back panel.

It would have been much simpler to have only 1 switch and then when you change the selection knob from CD to Tape2, it adjust the gain automatically.

If you buy a set of Milty BFA/Camcon plugs like the Milty CC124s then with the plastic ends removed you can use them as BFA plugs and banana plugs. Basically the plastic outer unscews and splits into two parts, if you only fit the larger section with the Milty logo on it you leave the plug tip bare.

http://www.milty.co.uk/connect.htm

Cheers, I will look into it.

Crustyloafer said:
If you buy a set of Milty BFA/Camcon plugs like the Milty CC124s then with the plastic ends removed you can use them as BFA plugs and banana plugs. Basically the plastic outer unscews and splits into two parts, if you only fit the larger section with the Milty logo on it you leave the plug tip bare.

http://www.milty.co.uk/connect.htm

I use the Milty CC124's and they're great. I got them at the Kingston branch of Sevenoaks Sound & Vision, although they're usually available on ebay too.

Do you know what is the maximum size of cable they can take in as I am bi-wiring with 4mm and 2.5mm?

I am going to Maidstone on Saturday so will try to go to Sevenoaks. I saw them at around £10 on ebay. Are they the same price at Sevenoaks?

Gotta be honest, I don't know about maximum sizes. They work fine with my QED Silver Anniversary, but then I bi-amp.

I bought them about 3 or so years ago and to be honest I can't remember what I paid for them. I think I may have some left over that I didn't use. If you like I can send them to you to try out, if that's any use (assuming I can find them)!

EDIT: Yep, I found them. I've 4 reds and 4 blacks.

endora said:
Do you know what is the maximum size of cable they can take in as I am bi-wiring with 4mm and 2.5mm?

Did you decide against bi-amping with the 290? It's well worth it as long as you don't mind the fact that the amps don't match as far as looks go.

sput2001 said:
Gotta be honest, I don't know about maximum sizes. They work fine with my QED Silver Anniversary, but then I bi-amp.

I bought them about 3 or so years ago and to be honest I can't remember what I paid for them. I think I may have some left over that I didn't use. If you like I can send them to you to try out, if that's any use (assuming I can find them)!

EDIT: Yep, I found them. I've 4 reds and 4 blacks.

I am definitely interested. How much would you like for them?

Timmy C said:
Did you decide against bi-amping with the 290? It's well worth it as long as you don't mind the fact that the amps don't match as far as looks go.

To be honest, at the moment, I am bi-amping as this is the only way I can easily accomodate all my speaker wire (I have broken two of the binding posts of the Alpha 9 :thumbsdow ).

The result is excellent: I did not think that my speakers were capable of going that low. And the highs are very detailed.

Unfortunately, it is not WAF compatible so once I have received and tested the A75+, the other 2 will go...

endora said:
I am definitely interested. How much would you like for them?

A tenner for all 8 of them?

Like I said, I'm happy to post them to you to check whether they work for you. If you like them, you can bung a cheque my way, or return them if you don't.

Problem is that I live in France so P&P would be quite high if I need to return them.

As I am going to Maidstone on Saturday, I will try to see them at the Sevenoaks shop, see if it fits my requirements and let you know on Sunday.

A I only need 4, would you accept £4 + P&P for them? I should be able to pay with a UK cheque (I need to check first if there is enough money on my UK account :) ).

By the way,let me know if you are in the Maidstone area on Saturday...

Hi there,

£4 + p&p would be fine. Let me know whether you want them or not...

Sorry, I'm not going to be anywhere near Maidstone on Saturday! :)

I have checked my account and still have a few quids left so this will be ok.

I had a look at the manufacturer site and they mention that the plugs can take up to 8.5mm so this should be ok but I will double check tomorrow.

Could you check what the P&P would be to France please?

Sput2001,

I have checked the plugs and it seems to be large enough for my cable but in the meantime I may have found a way around.

I will come back to you quickly.

I have now picked up the A75+ which is very good looking and have one great advantage compared to the Alpha 9 and Delta 290: you don't need to use the processor switch everytime!

I should compare all these amps on Thursday and will post my conclusions.

Right, I have now spent some time listening to the 2 amps and I am a bit surprised by the results. I expected the Alpha 9 to be way ahead of the A75+, especially when you compare their max power (550VA for the Alpha 9 vs 400VA for the A75+), but in fact they are not too far from each other.

The Alpha 9 is a bit stronger in the low end though not that much: I have to say that both amps are very impressive in providing good bass.

The alpha 9 is also a bit brighter which could mean that it could become tiring to listen to rock music whereas the A75+ is a bit warmer.

For this reason and also the fact that the A75+ is more recent and has a simpler processor mode (i.e. no need to get up to change to CD from AV), I think I will keep the A75+.
I did not get the chance to do like for like comparison with the Alpha 9/Delta 290 bi-amplification, but will try to do it over the weekend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom