1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with amps

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by John Watts, Nov 14, 2004.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi all,
    I have just bought a Rotel 985 MK1 power amp to use with my Denon 3801. The Denon being used as a processor. My question is, Is it possible to use both the Denon and the Rotel at the same time? Is this bi-amping? If it is possible how would i go about it.
    Or should i just stick with my original plan of using the Rotel for amplification and the Denon for processing + powering the ex/es rears.
    Thanks for any help,
    John.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

I would not recommend useing 2 different amps there will be a mismatch for your speakers and probably not help the sound at all.
    If you are Bi amping you want to have 2 amps of the same make and that are designed to work together ie same current & wattage.
    I would stick to useing the preouts and useing the Rotel to power the speakers.

John

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It's certainly possible to do what you're asking,bearing in mind the comments above re sound quality,which may be different in terms of each amp's individual sound.

As for level matching,that should be no problem as long as the levels of your pre-outs are adjustable via the receiver's setup program.

If you do proceed,it's probably best to use the higher quality amps for the front channels(L+R),and the receiver for the others,but I wouldnt advise biamping using that sort of mixture,as recruit has also said.

4. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for the help folks,
    I get your points about the amps not matching etc.
    But is there any harm in trying it just for the sake of experimentation.
    I know it may not sound great but can i do any harm playing with this idea?
    Thanks again,
    John.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you try to Bi amp John you might do some damage you have to be very careful when doing things like that especially to the amps, maybe someone else can shed a bit more technicall light on this?

John

6. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Mmm, thanks recruit i think i'll just stick with my first plan.

However if somebody could explain more (just for the sake of knowledge) i'd be gratefull to hear your thoughts,
    Thanks again all, i can't wait to get my hands on the amp :clap:

Cheers,
    John.