• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with amplifier!

mantreedog123

Standard Member
Hello,

I want an amp where i can control my rega turntable and also audio from my tv/ps3. Can anyone recommend an amp? Ideally no more than £200.

Tom

dante01

Distinguished Member
AV receivers priced below £200 do not ordinarily include a phono stage and you'll need a phono stage if you want to connect a turntable directly to the receiver.

dante01

Distinguished Member
thanks, would you mind explaining? So i need a pre-amp?

I assume you want an AV receiver rather than an integrated stereo receiver in order to make the connections associated with your TV and your PS3? A conventional stereo integrated amp would in all probability include an intergrated phono stage, but AV receivers at the budget end of things don't.

A turntable output uses a very low line level signal and needs a special kind of connection on a amp that amplifies that signal when it goes into the amplifier. The left and right RCA inputs associated with this input are usually also accompanied by a grounding screw for the turntable.

You can buy external phono stages that you first connect the turntable to and then connect this to conventional phono (RCA) inputs on an integrated amplifiers that lack a dedicated internal phono stage.

Here's an example of a typical pre amp phono stage:
http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2469-project-phono-box-mk2-turntable-pre-amplifier.aspx

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member

If using a conventional stereo integrated amplifier then you'd be restricted to using the analogue audio output from a PS3, either that or you'd need to use an external DAC to convert the PS3's optical audio output to analogue prior to connection to a conventional stereo integrated amplifier. Do you simply want stereo output from your PS3?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom