1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with amp speaker settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stefmcd, Jan 22, 2005.

1. stefmcd

stefmcd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Teac AG10D amp and Canton cd1movie speakers.

Should the front speakers be set to large or small on the amp setup?

The amp manual says set the speakers to large 'when they can fully reproduce sounds below 80hz.'

According to the canton manual the centre/surround speaker range is 100....250000 hz.

To me this sounds as though both the centre and surround should be set to small - could someone confirm this please?

:)

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

If the speaker frequency specs say they can produce 100-25000Hz then set them to SMALL,then the lower (<100Hz) will be sent to the subwoofer.I assume the speaker package has a sub included ?
    This will ensure that the sat speakers only reproduce the frequencies that they can effectively handle,all lower frequecies go to the sub.
    Basically if you send a frequency too low for the sat's to handle this usually leads to distortion of the sound,and in a worst case scenario blowing of the sat speaker drive unit (especially at higher volume's).
    If the Teac allows a range of cut-off frequecies (say 60,80,100,125 etc etc) try setting it to 125Hz, thereby easing the strain on the sat's to try and play too low a bass frequency,(usually aiding in midrange reproduction, and power handling).If the subwoofer has a frequency range dial on the back, set it fully to the max (the crossover setting on the amp will only send the desired frequency to it anyway so don't worry).

Let us know any more info so we can help again if needed.

All the best,
    Graham.