help with amp selection

red67

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am hoping for a little guidance on amp selection for my set-up, currently have Rega P2 turntable into Rotel A11 tribute and Dali Oberon 5 speakers, I will be moving up to the P6 turntable later this year and feel that an upgraded amplifier may move things along. I listen to vinyl 70% of the time CD's 25% and bluetooth spotify via my phone the balance (used for checking new albums etc) I also listen via headphones on occasion.
budgeting up to £1200 + any trade in for the amp but this would need to cover any extra items required such as headphone amp.
looking at
Rega Brio R - has headphone output but will need something to connect to phone not sure how to do this.
Elex R will need headphone amp as well as well as phone connection
Cambridge CXA81 I already have mini fono and budget would allow upgrade on that as well
Rotel RA1572 (can get a B stock at £699)

Any advise or alternative suggestions welcome - I'm pretty new to this so if this is a dumb post just ignore. I do intend once i get down to a couple of options to demo.

When you say phone connection do you mean Bluetooth to phone?

From your post it would seem to me that a Cyrus one or Cyrus one hd could be worth a look

Upvote 0
thanks Muljao - yes simply bluetooth to phone - will check out the Cyrus products

Upvote 0
This was reviewed at 999, I believe there's a good price reduction on it now if you search around

Upvote 0
Hi. Just my 2p, but I imagine you're not going to get too much more out of the Dali's from just an amp upgrade. I'd guess it drives them relatively well already. Your budget, with money for the Dali's and amp, probably puts you in Brio + Kef r3 territory. Now, that would be a big jump.

Upvote 0
It kinda gets tough when you upgrade one etc. My logic behind the Cyrus one was it reportedly has a steller phono section, a stellar Bluetooth aptx section and an excellent headphones section. It's power should go a way to sound even better on the Dali's than a lesser amp as they apparently react well to better electronics

Upvote 0
Your budget will allow you to upgrade to the Opticons and a new amp with £1200 plus funds from the oberons and existing amp.

Upvote 0
Not enough power in the Brio for the R3. They need and deserve the Elex-R as a minimum but more likely the (new) Elicit-R. The R3 dip to 3.2 ohms.
Fair enough on the Kef (I forgot they dropped so low), but there are other options that would be brilliant off a brio.

Upvote 0
Fair enough on the Kef (I forgot they dropped so low), but there are other options that would be brilliant off a brio.
Is the brio better than a Cyrus one hd? There's a lot more options in the Cyrus for not much more money.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the comments so far, I was planning on keeping the dali's for a while as yet, I do like them, they fit the room well although this is food for thought.
The Cyrus looks interesting and covers all my needs and i think its worth a demo ( have seen priced at £699) so i am going to arrange a demo for that.
Apart from the power is there any real major performace differances with the Brio and Elex, i will need to demo them both as well i think, altough these both will need additional items for the connections i would like.
Any views on the Cambridge option
thank you all for the input

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
Thank you all for the comments so far, I was planning on keeping the dali's for a while as yet, I do like them, they fit the room well although this is food for thought.
The Cyrus looks interesting and covers all my needs and i think its worth a demo ( have seen priced at £699) so i am going to arrange a demo for that.
Apart from the power is there any real major performace differances with the Brio and Elex, i will need to demo them both as well i think, altough these both will need additional items for the connections i would like.
Any views on the Cambridge option
thank you all for the input
Elex-R sits with my P6 and my vinyl sings. Highly recommended.

Upvote 0
A couple of thoughts:

1. You could keep the A11 Tribute as a pre-amp and add a Rotel Power amp to upgrade the output power. It would be a good systems upgrade as you could then upgrade the pre-amp later too.

ROTEL RB-1552 MKII - 2x130W into 8 Ohm - £1,000
ROTEL RB1582 MKII - 2 x 200W into 8 Ohm - £1,600

Another idea is perhaps to add a REL sub or two - in a sense it is an amplifier upgrade, as even if you are running high level you will be providing the system with an extra 150-300W of power where it needs it the most.

A REL T7x for example is £1,000 and of course will be usable regardless of any electronics or speaker upgrades you may make in future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am hoping for a little guidance on amp selection for my set-up, currently have Rega P2 turntable into Rotel A11 tribute and Dali Oberon 5 speakers, I will be moving up to the P6 turntable later this year and feel that an upgraded amplifier may move things along. I listen to vinyl 70% of the time CD's 25% and bluetooth spotify via my phone the balance (used for checking new albums etc) I also listen via headphones on occasion.
budgeting up to £1200 + any trade in for the amp but this would need to cover any extra items required such as headphone amp.
looking at
Rega Brio R - has headphone output but will need something to connect to phone not sure how to do this.
Elex R will need headphone amp as well as well as phone connection
Cambridge CXA81 I already have mini fono and budget would allow upgrade on that as well
Rotel RA1572 (can get a B stock at £699)

Any advise or alternative suggestions welcome - I'm pretty new to this so if this is a dumb post just ignore. I do intend once i get down to a couple of options to demo.
Morning - Another point to consider, is there much difference between your A11 and the Brio / Cyrus, seems a like for like swap to me ?
Also If you're upgrading TT to the RP6 you maybe need to jump a level or two. Nothing wrong with the Brio / Cyrus (Brio owner here) but would the RP6 be best appreciated with an amp like the Elex as a minimum ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The bargain integrated of the mo’ IMO.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Upvote 0
Thanks all some interesting thoughts and good ideas. I listened to the Brio, elex and one HD and purchase made. Went with the Cyrus absolutely loved it, the Brio is excellent but I didn’t see much difference to the A11 the Elex again excellant and a leap up but to me I enjoyed the Cyrus more and it’s connectivity is perfect for my listening patterns. The phono stage is superb and it’s taken my CD11 tribute up a couple of notches only niggle is the lack of a remote the app is ok but cumbersome and volume control not very good. I understand the remote for the one will work so I will look to get one of those.
All my thoughts for my ears and room as ever there is no right or wrong as we are all different. But if it was not for this forum I would never of even considered the Cyrus so thanks all.
937D4E35-1625-4E10-B217-093C0E135D59.jpeg

Upvote 0
Looks smart and the different colours of each piece of kit look really good. Initially thought a black amp would clash.

Upvote 0
Looks smart and the different colours of each piece of kit look really good. Initially thought a black amp would clash.
hadnt really thoght of that it is somewhat of a dog's dinner, but at some stage a new CD will be added (either Apollo or Cyrus CDi) and the Rega P6 which will be added later this year is black

Upvote 0
@red67 - How are you getting on with the Cyrus One HD ?

Some great deals on at the moment and I’m considering one..
Really pleased with it a major improvement over my Rotel. Seems to work with the Oberon speakers. Phono stage is an improvement over both the inbuilt rotel and the separate rega mini. Have changed my CD player to a rega apollo as well and again for me working well with the Cyrus. I did audition the brio and for me the Cyrus was much more suitable class D amp perfect for me

Upvote 0
Thanks all some interesting thoughts and good ideas. I listened to the Brio, elex and one HD and purchase made. Went with the Cyrus absolutely loved it, the Brio is excellent but I didn’t see much difference to the A11 the Elex again excellant and a leap up but to me I enjoyed the Cyrus more and it’s connectivity is perfect for my listening patterns. The phono stage is superb and it’s taken my CD11 tribute up a couple of notches only niggle is the lack of a remote the app is ok but cumbersome and volume control not very good. I understand the remote for the one will work so I will look to get one of those.
All my thoughts for my ears and room as ever there is no right or wrong as we are all different. But if it was not for this forum I would never of even considered the Cyrus so thanks all.View attachment 1636820
It’s a cracking amp, I used to have one and it does everything well. Enjoy.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom