1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with alternave refresh rates

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Nov 20, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    While I've had an HTPC for some time I've never tried fiddling with changing the refresh rate from the 60hz default, using Powerstrip solely for setting resolution. I thought I'd try seeing if I could get 50Hz for PAL .. well I can, sort of.

I have an ATI R9700 using Catalyst 4.10 driving a Sharp Z200E via DVI, this gives me 60Hz only according to the Display Properties. I use AnyDVD to handle multi-regioning and it comes with a feature that can run a utility to set the refresh rate based on the type of DVD inserted, ie. NTSC or PAL.

However, when I try to run this for any value other than 60Hz it displays a dialog saying it couldn't set the frequency I want, eg. 50.

I installed Powerstrip and find that it CAN be used to set 50Hz, a fact confirmed by Reclock .. I'm not using Reclock at all at the moment, I just ran it to get the true value of the refresh as Display Properties lies and still says 60.

So, PStrip can set 50 but not AnyDVD's utility. Okay I though, I'd set up 2 PStrip configs and toggle between them, a bit of a pain when mixing NTSC and PAL DVDs but I'm sure I can automate it given time. Sadly this is not to be, PStrip can't seem to store more than one setting per resolution.

So I'm stuck, I can manually dial 50 or 60 into PStrip and it'll set it but that's more than a little tedious, but I see no other way of doing it. Am I doomed to being forced to use 60Hz all the time if I want to use DVI? I haven't tested it but I assume if I switched to VGA then I wouldn't be locked into 60Hz by Windows.

2. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi KraGorn, You can set up different Refresh rates for the same resolution in Power strip. Have a look at the thread "Picture refresh rate on projectors" in the "DLP and LCD Projectors Forum, last post by myself on Nov 1st 2004. I can't generate a link, sorry.

Jim.

3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Kragorn, I dont thin you can do 50Hz over DVI.

I, however, use AnyDVD as you have tried to change the powerstrip settings. I wrote some batch files for 50Hz and 60Hz that AnyDVD uses to change powerstrip and even the player. I use Zoomplayer for 50Hz (which is 95% of my DVDs) and TT for 60Hz.

When I get some time I will post them here tonight I hope to let you have a look at. They may give you some ideas.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Muf: :suicide: .. I posted in that thread but I never saw your last reply to me :blush: .. that link tells me exactly what I need to know.

John: I'm certainly getting 50Hz to the projector, I discovered an 'info' menu item on the Sharp and it does show it receiving 50Hz when I manually set Powerstrip to that value. I'd appreciate seeing your batch files to see what you managed to do with AnyDVD that I didn't.

Cheers both. :smashin:

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Muf: the desktop shortcut method described in the link you provided works a treat, many thanks for that I doubt I'd have discovered that in a month of Sundays. :)

6. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Well thats good to hear that you got 50Hz out of DVI.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Whether it makes much difference is another matter. ;) I'm hoping that I can figure a way to use those shortcuts in the batch files you have, this is part of AnyDVD I've never played with.