1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With A Wireless Network

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by barrybarryr, Sep 21, 2005.

1. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi,

I really need help. I want to create a wireless network in my house. I need to connect 2 desktop pc's and an xbox (to use xbox live).

Simply what do I need and how do I do it?

I really dont have a clue about what I need to buy what makes are good etc or how much needs to be spent.

I want it so that both pc's can use broadband independently (so a first pc doesn't have to be on for the second pc to use the connection). Is it also possible to use the xbox without having to have a pc on?

Our area finally has broadband (yes I know what your thinking but I live in deepest darkest Cornwall) and I want to purchase it. Can anybody suggest which broadband package is the best?

I want unlimited download and a speed fast enough to use xbox live for obviously the cheapest money.

Sorry if these are daft questions!

Thanks for the help

Barry

2. nightsoil

nightsoil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Look at getting a wireless broadband router/firewall such as the Netgear DG834G that plugs into your telephone/adsl connection. This then provides you with a wireless network and also 4 (I think) ethernet connections to allow you to hard-wire if you want. Get wireless network cards for the PC's (Netgear wg311) and it's job done.

However I'm not familiar with xbox or it's wireless capability so others should advise you on this.

3. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
  5. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks your help is appreciated. I'm still a bit confused but have a little more of an idea now.