1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a/v connections please!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by STEVE THOMAS, Feb 3, 2002.

1. STEVE THOMAS

STEVE THOMAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Grundig Xentia 70 TV. It's the MFW70-490/8
    it has three scarts, two are rgb and i think the other is dbas? what ever that is. The tv is really good and I only paid £450 from unbeatable.com
    I am about to buy the Yamaha DSP-AX620 amp to put everthing through.
    I have two satellite receivers on one dish. One is an echostar AD3000ip with 3 scarts,marked VCR, TV and DECODER.
    The other receiver is a Panasonic TUDSB31 digibox with the two scarts, TV and VCR.
    I also have a Acoustic Solutions DVD551 with scart,composite, s-video, rgb/yuv component, optical audio and 5 chanel audio out.
    My only other bit of kit at the moment is a BUSH NICAM VCR 880NVP with 2 scarts marked AV1(TV) and AV2(DECODER).

Can anybody advise how I can connect everything up through the amp and still maintain the best picture?

I'm going to buy my amp through unbeatable.com as long as it's not a grey import. Does anybody know?

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve to get the best picture you need to connect the DVD directly to one of the RGB Scarts on the TV. Configure DVD for RGB output.

Connect Panasonic Digibox to the second RGB scart. I think this does RGB as well. Connect VCR AV2 to the digibox as well. This will allow you to video off the digibox. Also I think the VCR may well play out of the AV2 socket and the digibox will pass it through. You need to make sure you turn off the scart grabbing (dont know exact term) technology on the digibox to make this work.

Bang the final sat box into the third scart.

Dont put any video through the amp at all.
    Rog

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wouldn't recommend putting any video through the amp. I say leave it to it's sonic duties, and send video directly to where it has to go. It creates more work for the amp otherwise, plus unless you have component capabilities, your only choice is S-Video. Composite shouldn't even be entertained as an option.

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with the above.

Just add the 2x phono out from the tv to the amp and all your sources connected to the tv should be fine being carried by this one connection.

The exceptions to the above rule are any units which have a digital audio output, such as the dvd player, which should have a connection to the amp (using digital co-ax or optical) as this is the only way to get DD5.1/DTS or higher.

You will only need to switch the amp between tv and DVD when appropriate.

5. STEVE THOMAS

STEVE THOMAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THANKS TO ALL THREE OF YOU.
    I'm going to do try it all out.