Help with a TV Purchase!

elthomp0777

Novice Member
Hello!

I have only recently purchased a Sony Bravia KE55XH8096BU and I'm having a nightmare with it!

I bought this TV for the on going 'Euro Championships' thinking i'd treat myself.
I have ordered a new HDMI cable, ensured all firmware is fully updated, had a visit from a sky engineer and played with all the settings. I cannot get rid of this juddering/glitching action that happens whilst watching the football matches, everytime the camera angle goes to a pan shot of the whole pitch the juddering happens.

Its like a stuttering sort of action around all moving objects on screen, I haven't noticed this happening on anything else due to the scene constantly changing when watching normal tv. The TV is connected to my Sky Q box and I wanted to know if this is a common problem with the device?

I have only had the tv for just under 3weeks, and if its a common fault I want to get it replaced asap!

If the TV is no good, what alternatives would anyone recommend? Me and my partner aren't gamers, we just watch normal tv, the odd film (through Sky itself, Netflix, Disney+ etc) and sport. I'm not one for splashing out mega money on a TV but anything around or less than £750 for a 55" - 58" I would definitely consider.

All help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Have you turned off the motion settings?

Dodgexander

You can't use any motion settings on a TV that uses a 60hz panel with sport, because sport is broadcasted at 50fps and TVs that use 60hz panels can only interpolate frames up to 30fps.

My advice is to return the TV for a model like the XH90 which includes 120hz, and then you can use motionflow to clear up the stutter. Since you are wanting to use the TV for HDR (UHD HLG iPlayer is HLG HDR) then you should also consider the Sony XH9505 which will be a lot better in that department too.

Out of interest, what TV did you own before?

elthomp0777

Novice Member
You can't use any motion settings on a TV that uses a 60hz panel with sport, because sport is broadcasted at 50fps and TVs that use 60hz panels can only interpolate frames up to 30fps.

My advice is to return the TV for a model like the XH90 which includes 120hz, and then you can use motionflow to clear up the stutter. Since you are wanting to use the TV for HDR (UHD HLG iPlayer is HLG HDR) then you should also consider the Sony XH9505 which will be a lot better in that department too.

Out of interest, what TV did you own before?
I will check up on these two models thanks!
I had a very, very old Panasonic plasma tv, so it’s a huge upgrade on that.

Dodgexander

I thought you may have been a plasma user, it can take some getting used to moving from a Plasma to a modern display. You basically are forced to use interpolation for the picture to be smooth.

At 55" there's a bit of a void in the market for TVs that use 120hz panels.. if you also want to keep the budget low, at the moment I can think of the Hisense U8Q (£500 at Costco) or the Sony XH90. Curry's also sell the XH90 as XH92.

The Hisense has a problem with motion blur, so if you want to avoid that, go for the Sony instead. The Hisense is the better overall TV though despite this issue because it has proper HDR hardware (in this respect, more similar to the higher range Sony XH9505).

Samsung have the Q70T but its not a great option if I'm being honest.

All these TVs you can use interpolation on 50fps sport.

elthomp0777

Novice Member
Thanks a lot for that 👍

At the moment though I have managed to get hold of a longer HDMI cable from sky, so now it fits, switched the tv onto Game mode and changed a few settings regarding HDMI auto adjust. For the time being the TV seems to be coping well so I think I’m going to stick with!

There is that many settings you can easily lose your way, if anything does happen I reckon il upgrade to the better Sony model.

Mobius

Standard Member
I thought you may have been a plasma user, it can take some getting used to moving from a Plasma to a modern display. You basically are forced to use interpolation for the picture to be smooth.

At 55" there's a bit of a void in the market for TVs that use 120hz panels.. if you also want to keep the budget low, at the moment I can think of the Hisense U8Q (£500 at Costco) or the Sony XH90. Curry's also sell the XH90 as XH92.

The Hisense has a problem with motion blur, so if you want to avoid that, go for the Sony instead. The Hisense is the better overall TV though despite this issue because it has proper HDR hardware (in this respect, more similar to the higher range Sony XH9505).

Samsung have the Q70T but its not a great option if I'm being honest.

All these TVs you can use interpolation on 50fps sport.

Do you own the Hisense then? Since you're suggesting that over the Sony.

Dodgexander

Do you own the Hisense then? Since you're suggesting that over the Sony.
I've owned the H9G before which is the closest American equivalent. But that's not why I'm suggesting it. Its really not a £500 TV if you look at specs. The main stand out is it has high peak brightness and good local dimming performance which is usually something exclusive to higher end TVs.

The Sony XH90 for example, does well with local dimming, but falls short with peak brightness.

You can read a review of the U8Q on this website; Hisense U8QF (55U8QFTUK) 4K ULED TV Review

It was a recommended TV at £1000, let alone £500.

Mobius

Standard Member
I've owned the H9G before which is the closest American equivalent. But that's not why I'm suggesting it. Its really not a £500 TV if you look at specs. The main stand out is it has high peak brightness and good local dimming performance which is usually something exclusive to higher end TVs.

The Sony XH90 for example, does well with local dimming, but falls short with peak brightness.

You can read a review of the U8Q on this website; Hisense U8QF (55U8QFTUK) 4K ULED TV Review

It was a recommended TV at £1000, let alone £500.

That's the tricky thing, that they use different panels, EU get shafted in that regard. Hisense just cannot seem to fix their abundance of firmware/software issues. I've "had" two Hisense TV's now, different models, and the issues are so disconcerting. They do have good things about them, but they also have a lot of bad, too. Some people argue "well every TV has problems" Not like Hisense they don't. Once in awhile they have a super crazy good offer that is likely worth giving it a try, but always have low expectations when buying a Hisense.

If people have an easy option to return or replace, then it might be worth giving it a try but otherwise it would be safer to get the Sony, My brother has the XH90 and it's a fantastic TV. Sony still has the best motion and color accuracy OOB than pretty much any other brand.

Dodgexander

That's the tricky thing, that they use different panels, EU get shafted in that regard. Hisense just cannot seem to fix their abundance of firmware/software issues. I've "had" two Hisense TV's now, different models, and the issues are so disconcerting. They do have good things about them, but they also have a lot of bad, too. Some people argue "well every TV has problems" Not like Hisense they don't. Once in awhile they have a super crazy good offer that is likely worth giving it a try, but always have low expectations when buying a Hisense.

If people have an easy option to return or replace, then it might be worth giving it a try but otherwise it would be safer to get the Sony, My brother has the XH90 and it's a fantastic TV. Sony still has the best motion and color accuracy OOB than pretty much any other brand.
Depends where you want to make sacrifices I guess. Many of the bugbears people have with Hisense TVs is the built in smart TV, you can always use an external device to replace that.
Sony XH90 has some glaring shortfalls, especially with HDR. It doesn't get very bright, which means it suffers with picture quality in many HDR titles, especially those that demand high peak brightness.

The Hisense U8Q is more similar overall to the Sony XH9505.

Panels I think are the same between H9G and U8Q, they are different between the new U8QG and U8G, but not last years models.

The U8Q was great value at £1000 so at £500 its a complete no-brainer in my opinion.

I think you'll be surprised at the problems other TVs have, its not just Hisense for sure. The biggest downside to the U8Q is the known motion blur problem, but there's plenty of problems with other TVs, even the Sony XH90 you mention. People are just quick to jump on Hisense since they are a new brand.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom