Help with a Set-Up Issue please - Yam AV59

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Broxi1979, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I was hoping someone could help me with a connection issue with my set-up, Firstly, I will list my current set-up and how it is connected to my amplifier:

Samsung LE40F71 LCD TV
    Yamaha AV59 Amp/Reciever 5.1 System (Connected To TV Via red/white Stereo Cables)
    Xbox (Connected via Optical)
    Xbox 360 (Connected via Optical)
    DVD Player (Connected To TV via Scart)
    Freeview STB (Connected to TV via Scart)

All of this worked fine, when I switched on one of my xboxes, the amp automatically switched to that source.

My issue has come recently when I bought a new HDMI upscaling Freeview STB to replace my old one. I connected the STB to the TV with the HDMI cable but at this point I lost any sound from TV channels. I then disconnected the stereo cable from the back of the TV and connected it to the back of my STB instead.

I then had sound for my TV channels again, however it was very very quiet, I turned up the volume on my STB to maximum and still at -45dB it was almost silent. For normal listening volume I need to turn the volume all the way up to -25 dB.

The other issue I have is that now when I turn my TV off, I still have sound from the STB, I need to turn my amp off (or the STB)

Am I connecting this up the right way or is there a better way to connect an HDMI source?
    I have no more optical connections left and there is none on the STB anyway.

Regards
    R.Duke

2. BazMan

BazMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sounds to me like your STB only sends video via HDMI, so you will need an audio connection from STB to your receiver (red and white phono leads).

-25dB sounds about right for TV viewing - I have mine up to -14dB at times.

3. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    No dice then, I used to be able to watch fine on my old box at -45 dB, I'll just have to remember to turn it down before I switch on my Xbox or I'll be blasted through the wall at that volume. :)