1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a picture cd

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by andloumeg, Oct 15, 2004.

1. andloumeg

andloumeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a kodak photo cd done in the states when I was on holiday, but only 21 out of 100 photos are appearing when I open the disc. The other files are there, and showing as JPEGs with the memory etc., but I cannot open them to see the pictures.
    Please can someone help me, as these are pictures of my daughter's first trip to Disney World

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right click one of the files that wont open and choose open with, and pic something like windows picture and fax viewer. See if that helps. What softwear are you using to view the pics with?

3. andloumeg

andloumeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried again sing photosop, and it said that there is an invalid JPEG marker type (whatever that is)
    I have tried the picture viewer, and also the Sony software that came with the camera, but neither of them are displaying the other pictures (as I said before, the first 21 are fine)
    HEEELLLLLPPP!!

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It sounds like the header tags might have been corrupted. try opening it with ms word. I know it sounds daft but give it a try

5. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried the CD on another PC? or even picture CD compatible DVD player?

Some discs that cannot be read by one drive will be Ok on another. The fact that you can see the first pictures then have problems with later ones suggests CD media that is not top quality.
    If I burn cheap media at full speed I sometimes find that the disc has errors towards the end - but the start is fine. The writer does not get up to full speed until over halfway through the disc.
    A CD writer will often read better than a CD rom drive. there is software that will recover corrupt pictures but it is usually for jpegs and I think Kodak Cd's are thier own .pcd format.

good luck.

6. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to add that Kodak Picture CD's are not accepted in many DVD players at all, this is probably what the problem is.

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Then he could just stick it in his normal drive, i'm sure he's tried that. He's opened for sure on his pc as he's seen the jpeg file ex so he's checked it on a pc

8. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In his computer is should work but not all DVD players read JPEG or Kodak Picture CD's. Anyhow, I think we are wasting our time because he's not been back to check out our advice :rolleyes:

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well he might, but its not working on his pc its corrupted. He's accessed the data he could only do that on a pc.

10. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well why can't he copy all the jpegs to his HD and make his own DVD. What is corrupted? The CD?

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The files, what it could be be is that the header tags will have been corrupted/changed so they cant be read. Can't always be fixed from what i've read sadly. Someone with more pc know how will be able to explain it better, but that from the errror message given seems to be the cause.

He can only open 21 of the hundred files

12. andloumeg

andloumeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I mentioned, I have already tried the CD on my PC, and also a friends, but it refuses to open.
    I get an alert saying that there are no pictures on the CD when the drive boots up, but when I open through My Computer, I can see the files sitting on the disc (but again, only 21 of them are visible as photos).
    Can anyone steer me in the direction of software that can fix the issue with the file headers?

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,375
    Kodak altered the system how they store pictures I have a old CD with some pictures on which will not play on the non PC DVD but can be accessed by my PC DVD. If you are using Photoshop on opening it up immediately try OPEN then choose the file to open. This method bypasses choosing the type of file and should open any picture file.