Help with a phrase??

smelly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I just can't think of the phrase and its driving me nuts!!!!! :mad:

What is it when you accept something without expecting anything in return or for no reason? You know for a court case or something when damages are paid but they don't accept liabilty?? Does that make sense???

I hope so to someone!!! :D

smelly said:
I just can't think of the phrase and its driving me nuts!!!!! :mad:

What is it when you accept something without expecting anything in return or for no reason? You know for a court case or something when damages are paid but they don't accept liabilty?? Does that make sense???

I hope so to someone!!! :D

A goodwill gesture??

an out of court settlement ?

Unconditional

What a good way to get a result on phrases. I was looking for a word for two weeks. Then I came up with it - fortnight :)

mep said:
without prejudice?

yup, "The basic meaning is 'without loss of any rights'. It is a term used when two parties are in dispute, and one makes a settlement offer to the other. It puts 'without prejudice' on its offer to make it clear that the settlement offer should not be construed as a waiver of rights. Importantly, communication marked 'without prejudice' cannot be used in evidence in court proceedings if the attempts at settlement fail and the dispute comes to court."

Dr Diversity said:
What a good way to get a result on phrases. I was looking for a word for two weeks. Then I came up with it - fortnight :)
:D :D

For six months now I've been trying to recall what we called those large black disc things we used prior to CDs'. Is this a record.

themoid said:
yup, "The basic meaning is 'without loss of any rights'. It is a term used when two parties are in dispute, and one makes a settlement offer to the other. It puts 'without prejudice' on its offer to make it clear that the settlement offer should not be construed as a waiver of rights. Importantly, communication marked 'without prejudice' cannot be used in evidence in court proceedings if the attempts at settlement fail and the dispute comes to court."

Or, to quote the Business Terms section of the Fair Investment Company:-

The basic meaning is 'without loss of any rights'. It is a term used when two parties are in dispute, and one makes a settlement offer to the other. It puts 'without prejudice' on its offer to make it clear that the settlement offer should not be construed as a waiver of rights. Importantly, communication marked 'without prejudice' cannot be used in evidence in court proceedings if the attempts at settlement fail and the dispute comes to court.

Oops that looks familiar :rotfl:

forgot to quote the source, thanks Ian J.

plagiarism, the first rule of academia :thumbsup:

Thanks all :thumbsup:

I sort of mistyped it wrong originally but you all got where I was coming from!! I knew you'd be able to help :clap: :clap:

PS: Dr - you just get worse :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom