• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Help with a PC fault

GaryMo

Ive just switched my desktop on for the first time in a couple of days and found that the screen flashes strangely and with funny colours when it gets to the sign in screen. The bios screen shows fine though.
I've just looked in the bios and spec is

Asus P8Z77-M
i5-3570 3.4GHz
16GB DDR3 1333MHz
OCZ-Octane 250GB SSD

From what I describe would you think it could be the motherboard and it's onboard graphics at fault or wouldn't I be able to see the bios settings if that was the case?
Any other ideas?

Many thanks in advance

wiz

Distinguished Member
only real way to know is to plug a GPU in it

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I presume it only has onboard graphics?

GaryMo

Yes, I believe it has onboard graphics. If that's the faulty bit would I expect to see the bios and blue diagnostic screen perfectly? The screen only starts to flash at th windows login screen.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Or the monitor has died. The BIOS screen is a different resolution to Windows so it could be your monitor is having a hard time with the higher resolutions. Try a different monitor

wiz

Distinguished Member
Could try deleting the video driver and let it reinstall a default one

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Have you tried safe mode that will load a safe resolution and should tell if it's the video driver without having to reinstall.

Also can you get the monitor on screen display on and see if that is affected or not

GaryMo

Finally got some spare time and have tried the PC directly into my TV via HDMI and still the same flashing when it gets the the login to windows screen. Might try and pick up a cheap PCIE graphics card and see if that solves it, if not then a motherboard.

Does that sound like a reasonable suggestion? Thanks again for any help.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Have you tried a different cable it's not unheard of hdmi cables to fail. It could be a partial failure that is more apparent at higher resolutions i.e. When more data is going down the cable

GaryMo

The PC fails when using a VGA cable into a monitor and also last night when I tried it with a known working HDMI cable into a TV.

How do you access safe mode from outside of windows? I remember you used to press a certain key during boot up to select it. Is that still the case?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
What version of Windows are you using. It used to be F8 just after the bios and then select from appropriate option.

In Windows 10 you can set it to reboot into Safe Mode once you are logged in. I guess that is going to be a problem for you though if you can't see the screen very well.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
If you can figure out how to get to the restart icon on the login screen on Windows and then whilst selecting restart hold the shift key down that should hopefully work for you?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom