help with a misbehaving DV88.....

O

oreoboy13

This is my third player to date,

1st, was just shagged buttons on the front were broken so....

2nd was the dealers and worked brilliantly, however i had to take it back as my replacement had turned up.

3rd, the one in the lounge now; Version 1.76

Everything looked fine as the Screensaver was perfectly displayed, however; First disc i tried was Region 2 "the Firm" all i got was a black screen and a white square, and sound. I thought hang on, so i put in Ultimate T2 Region 2, this time i got no pic at all, but got sound in 5.1. I then thought i would try my only region 1 disc, Blade platinum edition, worked fine. So i trot into the service menu to change the region setting. When i got there it didnt seem to be set to anything just black where the region number normally is. I cycled through until region 2 and then reset the machine, this time i got exactly the same from the Region 2 discs, but this time the Region 1 discs were "invalid region".

The souns is travelling via component to the amp, and the video is travelling by component via the amp.

I will obviously contact my dealer tommorow, but i just wanted to check i am not being a "dribbler". I dont think its the way i have set it up as all i did was change the leads over from the prevous player and that worker fine.

P.S Does it matter what black leve you set it to i.e IRE 7.5 or 0

Sorry for such a lng post and any help really would be appreciated.

Your not having a lot of luck with this are you?

I think the black ire setting you require is detailed in the manual, I have not got mine to hand or I would give you the page number, I also can't remember what it should be set to, but 0 seems to ring a bell. If you can't find it, let me know and I will look a little harder.

Also, you might want to check out this excellent FAQ:

Unoficial DV88 FAQ

It says there that the auto region from the setup menu doesn't work properly. I wasn't even aware that the region could be changed in this manner! It might be worth trying the remote control hack as listed in the FAQ, which is the method I used without problem and is as follows:
How do I change my region code?
Changing region code is simple to do on the machine simply press the buttons on the remote in the following sequence stop, eject, 1111 and then the final two digits from the table below.

Code Region
01 1
02 2
03 3
04 4
05 5
06 6
13 Auto

Note: the sequence stop, eject, 1234 then two codes also seems to work however it adjusts many other often undesirable video settings. It is not recommended for use.

I hope some of this info is useful to help you get up and running, I am sure you will find the end results worth the effort.

all the best

Thank you for the post, i found out by trial and error that it would appear that to make the region change you have to first make th change in the setup and then set to stanby and then turn off the player for at least 10 secs and then it will work.

Once again thanks

I've just tried to play "O BROTHER "on my DV88 and yes the
picture has alot of interference , colour jumps and flashes from
black &white back to colour every 2-3 secs!

It played ok on my old pioneer DV55 exept I had alot of trouble
with swiching off the sub titles.

Iv'e used region 2 and 13{auto} settings on the player.
and the faults are the same.
works fine with all other disks region 1&2 and RCE?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom