Help with a 100% capacity disk drive that has no reported errors in disk check.

MartinGH1369

Hello there.

My P.C. is about 4-5 years old. It is a Windows 10 P.C.

I have a 2TB H.D.D. that only has about 300GB of stuff on it. The O.S. is in its own partitioned section on the same physical drive, although it has a different drive designation.

A few months back the computer started getting really slow, stupidly slow, so far I can't work out what's up with it. Disk check isn't reporting any issues with the drive, it's not fragmented and I have cleared the virtual memory.

I have done everything on this list: 10 Ways to Resolve a 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10 (2021)

While the P.C. does start a bit faster now, the moment I try to do anything on it, disk usage spikes to 100% (sometimes CPU usage spikes to 100% first but then it goes back to about 8% once the disk drive climbs to 100%) and the P.C. is nearly unusable.

Are there any options I have for this? Would a replacement drive help? Maybe an S.S.D.?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I can't access my e-books or play anything on Steam with the P.C. behaving this way.

Missyeight

Can you see what is using all the disk usage/cpu ? If you open task manager and click on the headings cpu and Disk it will bring the highest usage things to the top of the columns. How much RAM do you have ? and yes an SSD should make things faster especially boot times.

MartinGH1369

Can you see what is using all the disk usage/cpu ? If you open task manager and click on the headings cpu and Disk it will bring the highest usage things to the top of the columns. How much RAM do you have ? and yes an SSD should make things faster especially boot times.
Application host service (32 bit) is what's using most at the moment but it's only using 14.3Mb/s at most, it drops to nothing then it spikes. At other times it says is the highest consumer system but it's never high usage and I am noticing that every now and again the disk will reach 100% when the A.H.S. is at really low usage (see picture).

I have 16 GB of DDR3 ram. It's not great ram at only 1600Mhz but it was fine for years, all of a sudden it started doing this.

Attachments

• 16334653174145658621016651389231.jpg
    16334653174145658621016651389231.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 21

Missyeight

I had a Google as I'm sure you did. It might be superfetch now called SysMain which you can see in the pic you posted though it appears to be using little in the way of resources. Might be worth stopping the service though just to see if it solves the problem and easy to start it again if it doesn't.

Press the Windows key + R, type services.msc in the box and press enter, scroll down to SysMain, right click it and select stop. Right click it again, properties and select disabled.
If that does nothing you can do it all again, right click select start and right click again, properties and select automatic (if it is not already).

What Is Superfetch (Sysmain) On Windows 10 And How To Disable It

The bit I'm referring to is headed

How To Disable Superfetch (Sysmain) In Windows 10

Don't go editing the registry !!!

Missyeight

Sorry I didn't click on your link '10 ways to resolve ...' which has a bit about stopping superfetch !
BTW 16 GB RAM is plenty whatever the speed.

MartinGH1369

I had a Google as I'm sure you did. It might be superfetch now called SysMain which you can see in the pic you posted though it appears to be using little in the way of resources. Might be worth stopping the service though just to see if it solves the problem and easy to start it again if it doesn't.

Press the Windows key + R, type services.msc in the box and press enter, scroll down to SysMain, right click it and select stop. Right click it again, properties and select disabled.
If that does nothing you can do it all again, right click select start and right click again, properties and select automatic (if it is not already).

What Is Superfetch (Sysmain) On Windows 10 And How To Disable It

The bit I'm referring to is headed

How To Disable Superfetch (Sysmain) In Windows 10

Don't go editing the registry !!!
I turned the P.C. off now because I was getting irritated trying to do anything on it.
I'll give it another go tomorrow.

I was looking at resource monitor and at one point I saw a picture file using over 4,000,000 (I think it measures usage in bits per second?) even though I wasn't trying to look at photos. Then when I searched for the file I couldn't find it. It seems that random files place a huge demand on the H.D.D. for a few seconds and then it stops only for it to be replaced by something else.

I appreciate you having a look for me and the advice, it is much appreciated. If I had the money I'd take all my important files off this P.C. then buy a new one but I can't afford to do that this side of Christmas, my 4 kids wouldn't be too impressed if they woke up Christmas morning to find P.C. components in place of their chosen presents 🤣

Attachments

• 20211005_213343.jpg
    20211005_213343.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 16

Missyeight

Tomorrow or whenever do the Windows key + R again, type msinfo32 in the box and post the results. My pc is older than yours and I've no plans (or the money) to buy another in the immediate future. An SSD would be a good buy though , they don't cost the earth these days.
Yes I know what you mean about kids and Christmas, I have 4 as well but all grown up now the youngest is 25.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Be sure to re-enable anything you disable such as services or you may run into further problems down the line. Programs tend not to do explicit checks that default parts of Windows are still there and will often throw cryptic and hard to diagnose error messages if they need it.

Lots of different things showing high disk usage could point towards something like an antivirus or antimalware program. Other than Windows Defender do you have any such thing installed?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom