Help with 7.1 placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Upex, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Upex

Upex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all, sorry if in wrong thread, but looking for help with a funny shape room and the positioning of speakers.

I've put my tv, amp and sub in a corner, with FL, FR and Centre speakers there, but struggling to know where to mount the other 4 speakers, as there isn't a good place for the rears to be rears.

Not sure it matters, but amp is a sony 1080, speakers are monitor audio mass 10, tv is sony 9005 or something similar, all brought will help and guidance from the kind folks on here.

Sorry for poor pic of floor plan, I'm not artist. And please excuse the state of the place, not long moved in and needs a lot of work.

Any suggestions as to where best to put the bleeders would be great.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,676
    Any room with the TV in a corner is going to be a challenge, even with just 5.1, 7.1 even more so. The constraint is with the fronts. Try placing them further apart and they will come too far forward towards your MLP. Leaving them where they are now constraints the surrounds and any rear placement as their best placement would be to be in line with the fronts.

I would abandon 7.1 and stay with the best placement for 5.1. Normally I would recommend just a good stereo set up for a room such as yours.

Have you considered moving the TV so that the bay window would be to your right and the fire to your left. In a stroke you would solve your speaker placement problems, although I do not think your room, without being given the dimensions, is good enough for 7.1. By moving as described you could them consider an Atmos configuration of 5.1.2, the most your receiver can accommodate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Upex

Upex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for reply.

I don't like to have my back to the door, would rather it be in eye shot, but will have a think, as you and another have said.

I've added dimensions to pic, and x'd where I though could an option, although from above sounds like it's no good

Attached Files:

4. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,448
    If there's one thing in a room that restricts mostly everything, it's the fire surround. All the furniture has to be positioned according to it. I'm not saying it's wrong, thats just how it is with most rooms.

If you have enough heating otherwise, I can spot a radiator, take the fire surround out. They're usually ugly looking things anyway. It'll give you so much more scope and not just with the TV.

Sorted ;)

5. Upex

Upex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Do you mean put tv on chimney breast? If so, tried that and the light from bay was terrible, even with blinds and curtains shut. Would need to be black out and permanently closed, I'd turn into a goth lol

6. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,448
    Yeah I did think of that problem if it was directly opposite the window. What about on the 3.9m wall ?

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,676
    Couldn't quite see in the picture if the fireplace is actually on a brick breast that protrudes into the room as you seem to have indicated on the drawing. If it's not used, then, as Dodge has mentioned, get rid of it. Then you can think seriously about a good speaker set out.

My house originally had a flush to wall fitting with a gas fire, no chimney as it was a balanced flue. Best place for a TV and surround sound so it had to go. I was happy, the wife no so.:)

8. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,448
    Damn those fire Surrounds :devil: got rid of mine years ago.

Seriously though. Sometimes a little ‘out of the box’ thinking is needed ;)

9. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,676
    Do you know how much of my working life was spent on my knees in front of blazing fire grates. That's why I hate them so much.:mad: Nothing to do with audio!:D

10. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,448
    I’m not sure I want to know :laugh:

They’re such a tradition though, that now just gets in the way of modern life.

11. bobspark

bobspark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just go with what you have,loose wire it to experiment,then hide wires under carpet,when your happy.
    I have a similar layout,but Im lucky to have a picture rail to tuck the wires behind.
    It would be great to have a perfect layout ,but a lot of us cannot.
    And a dedicated cinema room is just a dream for most of us.

12. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    The problem with fire surrounds is they were designed to be the focal of the drawing / living room. The focal of modern living rooms is often the TV. The problem with Two focals, that are physically separated is they divide the room aesthetically. It’s one of the reasons people place flat screens above fire places, to maintain the unity of a single focal - the TV replaces the classic overmantle.
    Modern house builders still install fireplaces with surrounds purely to define the main room as the ‘living room’ because without it, many purchasers subliminally see the house as being incomplete.

13. Upex

Upex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers all, will have a 're think and test loose as suggested. If the door was elsewhere, the 3.9 wall would be fine, or if the window didnt get soon much light... Always a compromise eh.

May be back for more, see how it goes.

Thanks all