Help with 5.1 speaker setup...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JackOTrades, Aug 17, 2004.

1. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone!

just got my receiver (a denon 3802) :thumbsup: and i'm now looking to build the speaker setup around it.

i've spent quite a while combing the net and the forums searching for answers but couldn't find them so this is my last chance...

my problem :confused: : i have sonus faber signums as fronts. i can't get hold of a sonus faber centre: the sf solo home is not a very good match and it's too expensive. the piccolo solo, which matches the sound better, is nowhere to be found... i have no idea of rears but rears should be less of a problem. In the (not so near) future i will probably go for sonus faber rears (something like a concertino or a minima amator) but for now i need to get something just for movies and not too expensive...

The Signum uses a 6db/octave crossover @ 2.5kHz, 20mm silk dome tweeter, 150mm fiber glass multicoated cone mid/woofer, and are rated at 86db/w/m sensitivity. Individual struts of solid walnut are used for the outside - 8 litre box - while lead and copper parts are used inside for resonance control. Frequency response goes from 40Hz-20kHz.

so i am turning to you for help... :lease:

a)what do you recommend as possible speakers to go with my fronts, given their specs? B&W? M&K? Mordaunt-Short? Monitor Audio? Anything at all?

b)anyone knows where i can find a piccolo solo centre speaker?

c)any ideas on reasonably priced rear speakers? would something like a bipole mission m3ds work ok for home theatre (the main use for the 5ch setup)?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

Cheers!
    Jack

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hi Jack. You are unfortunately in a tricky situation where the best match for your fronts seems to be unavailable. Bummer! :(

I would try to listen to all the speaker models you mention - ie. specifically to their front pairs. Thsi will give you a better idea as to which brand sounds like Sonus Faber. From their specs, you'll learn nothing about how they sound. You have to demo. Once you have a short list, either take your speakers to a store for a demo with suitable centres or arrange to take several centres home to try with your Fabers in your room. You should listen for an even tonal sound pan across the front three speakers - I suspect silk dome tweeters would be better than metal ones.....

Remember that ALL centre speakers are going to a bit of a compromise, even the solo centre, as it's dimensions are not identical to your fronts and so will be slightly "off" sounding anyway.

Rears: those Missions or any similar rears should serve you well.

Good luck. :)

3. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Hi Jack,

Bit of a pickle there as Sonus Fabers have such a distinctive sound. There are no piccolo solos on hififorsale (only a wanted ad!), and nothing on exdem.com either. As Nobber says, you really need to listen to as much as possible, coz if you buy speakers that are really mismatched tonally to your existing Signums, it's gonna sound very disjointed. You could always sell the Signums and put the dosh towards a set of speakers that'll work well together...depends on how attached you are to them really. If you like Sonus Fabers, you can pick up Concertos 2nd hand for ~£600, then you just need a solo @ £400 new and either the walls (£600 new) or Concertinos (£600 new, about £400 used) for a complete set. Take it from me, together they sound amazing!

4. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys.

it is a bit of a pickle, indeed (i like that expression :laugh: ).
    i guess i will either go for a really cheap centre or keep a phantom setup for the time being, until i manage to find a piccolo solo for sale.

there is no way :nono: i will give up my Signums, i hear music more than i watch movies and good as the home range is, it is nowhere near the Signums (in my humble opinion). but thanks for the suggestion, i can see your point!

quick question: do you think the missions will be a bit on the bright side?
    anyone knows of a brand that is not bright (using perhaps silk dome tweeters on their speakers) in the same range as the missions?

cheers!
    Jack

5. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I don't blame you wanting to keep the Signums...they're superb & definitely worth hanging onto if music is your priority. I'd imagine a dipole speaker like those Missions would be a lot easier to integrate into a mixed system than a monopole design, & a quick Net search suggests they're available at a bit of a bargain price. Haven't heard them though...so not sure of the sound characteristics.

6. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that!

i started thinking tannoy... and aegis evos... having checked their specs, they have soft domes (AE uses silk dome tweeters even) and so i am hoping they won't be too bright... hence integrating better than a bright speaker (imho).

looked at the Tannoy MXC-M and MXR-Ms. Anyone used them before?

Cheers!
    Jack