1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with 5.1 decoder

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by The 9th Doctor, Dec 3, 2003.

1. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Philips DVD player with only a coaxial output and no 5.1 decoders.

I have just purchased what I thought was a 5.1 AV with decoder from bid-up tv only to find that it does not have a decoder !!!!!

Is it possible to buy a coaxial to 5.1 pre AV converter, if it is not obvious from the details above it also needs to be very cheap !!!!!!!!!

The only other solution that I can think of is to buy a very cheap (£45 DVD player with decoder). Are these normally any good?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    :suicide:
    yes they are availble really expensive ones and really, really expensive ones!
    But some Sub £100 ones too.

3. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any guess where, I have been looking on the internet and I can't find one

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    If neither the amp or DVD player have a Dolby Digital/DTS decoder then it will be cheaper to get a ~£50 DVD player than a separate decoder as these tend to be high(er) end equipment.
    If the DVD does have a DD/DTS badge then the decoders will be onboard. It would have (normally) 6 phono outputs to connect to the amp. If it only has 2 phono and coax/optical outputs then the chances are is does not have the decoder.
    Does the amp have 5 channels to drive the speakers? If it does then the chances are that it is a Dolby Pro Logic amp, but if connected to a DVD with decoder should do what you require. If the amp has a coax or optical input then it might be able to decode a DVD, but just not have paid Dolby/DTS and therefore uses its own decoding software.

For more advise give us the make & model of the equipment and we can have a look at what it does/doesn't do and advise you of your options.

Mark.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Or send it back to bid up and we'll sort you out with some proper stuff!

6. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am starting to wish that I had not ordered it !!!!!!!!

The problem is that I am trying to do this on a very low budget under £100 and sending back the AV and spaekers will cost a extra £20.

The DVD that I have is the Philips 622, it only has a coaxial ouput no optical.

The AV is back at home so I will have to check this and get back to you.

This is a really useful board !!!!!!!!!!!

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The 'pre AV converter' is actually called a stand-alone decoder. Unfortunately none I know of decodes Dolby Digital and DTS, it's either one (and you are better off to choose DD then).
    As well they aren't made anymore, so you would need to find a 2nd hand one. Try searching for (in no particular order):

Denon AVD-1000 (DTS)
    Denon AVD-2000 (DD)
    Millenium 2.4.6 (DTS)
    Yamaha DDP-2 (DD)
    Technics SC-AH500 (DTS)

There were others but I can't recall them all ...

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Nope. Well, yes: if it has a DD badge it means it has a DD decoder but not necessarily the analog (5.1) output, see below.

As well be carefull with the DTS logo, if it says 'DTS Out' then it means it can handle DTS, but it will not decode it (bitstream is send to digital outputs only).

Correct. Note that every DVD player has indeed a DD decoder (for the 2-channel downmix) but not not all have a 5.1 output at the same time.

Thus if you say 'having a decoder' usually means 'having an analog 6-channel (5.1) output'. :lesson:

9. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Reiner,

This was confusing me as the DVD does have a DTS badge on the front and you can set the output mode to 5.1. But on the back there is just the coaxial. I assume that as you said this means that the coaxial can contain the 5.1 signals but it does seem misleading.

I am starting to think the best option is to buy a £50 DVD player with decoder. What do you guys think of these cheap players, any recommendations ?