Question Help with 5.1 Audio from Roku streaming stick via Blu-ray

Damo121

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

This is my set up: Panasonic VT50, Panasonic SA-BTT290 Blu-ray and Roku streaming stick.

I have the Roku stick plugged into HDMI 1 of the Blu-ray player and cannot output 5.1. The TV is wall mounted with side HDMI inputs which are difficult to access. The Blu-ray player is connected to the ARC HDMI.

Advice on how to achieve this would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Check the settings of both the sound bar and Roku to begin with, or try the other port. It should work, at face value, but I do know from past experience of Roku kit that it can sometimes be picky about passing multichannel audio. A NowTV (Roku) box would never pass 5.1 audio via my Sony TV, but was fine when connected to my Yamaha soundbar. it obviously had issues with the TV. You might have something similar going on. Connecting directly to the TV would also be a worthwhile test, PITA that it will undoubtedly be.

Thanks for your reply. The Roku stick is going via the HDMI port at the rear of the Blu-ray player, not soundbar. I have tried all the settings both in the Blu-ray player's menu and Roku's but it's only 2 channel stereo. There is unused HDMI leads connected to the wall mounted tv, do you know if it's possible to connect the Roku stick this way?

It should be possible to connect the Roku to the TV, but if you have a male termination on the HDMI cable coming from the TV then you’ll need a female-female HDMI coupler, as the Roku has a male HDMI connecter.

Might be getting somewhere with this now. The Roku has detected a DD/DTS signal but still only outputs it in stereo, ie on Amazon Prime where the films are listed with a default audio track in 5.1, is there a way to change this. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom