• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with 42PX80B..Agian.

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Had this on other threads but its a separate issue so have started a new thread.

Got the new tv yesterday and after a bit of tinkering I've got the pic on sky+ and freeview just right. Blacks good, pq sharp as a tack. Really pleased.

When I try to play a dvd everything is green. The menu page instead of being blue is green, solid bright emeral green. When a dvd plays and doesn't fill the screen the bands top and bottom are green. The picture is washed with green.

1) I thought it was a dodgy scart so changed it but no change to the pic. Still green.
2) Thought it might be the scart socket on the tv so wired up my vcr with the same scart to the same socket on the tv and the vcr plays fine. No green anywhere. Good colours.
3) Concluded from all this that the dvd was done. Its 5 years old and was as cheap as chips then. It was playing fine the day before the new telly arrived though.
4) Brought the dvd down to my mothers this morning and wired it through the same scart to her wee 19" new Sammy and bingo, no green anywhere. Good pic and good colours.

I need the help of the boffins here. Whats happening? Is there a setting on the dvd menu on the telly that I've missed? Is the dvd not compatible with the tv? Why is it good on one set but not on mine?

Help :lease:

audiphile76

Have you been plugging your scart to the same slot behind your PX80? I had similar experience when connection my DVD to one of the slots behind PX80. I could see lots of green and only half of the screen had picture rest was black. The other slot used was for external digital tuner box. I did the following:

Since i have an external terrestrial recordable tuner aswell, i connected the scart from the tuner box to PX80, used a second scart cable to connect the DVD player to the tuner box. So even if the tuner is off, i can view DVDs and since then i have had no issues.

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Have you been plugging your scart to the same slot behind your PX80? I had similar experience when connection my DVD to one of the slots behind PX80. I could see lots of green and only half of the screen had picture rest was black. The other slot used was for external digital tuner box. I did the following:

Since i have an external terrestrial recordable tuner aswell, i connected the scart from the tuner box to PX80, used a second scart cable to connect the DVD player to the tuner box. So even if the tuner is off, i can view DVDs and since then i have had no issues.

So let me get this right. Instead of wiring the dvd player directly into the tv I should wire the vcr directly into the tv by scart and connect the dvd player to the vcr with a scart. Right or wrong? Or are you saying that I sould wire the dvd player through my sky+ box?

There are 2 scart RGB enabled sockets on the tv. The first one is where my sky+ box is wired up to which leaves me with one free.

On reflection I think that on my old tv the vcr was wired into the tv and that the dvd was wired into the vcr.

Why should it make a difference? Surely a direct scart connection from dvd to tv should have worked?

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member

Just to confirm: What have you get wired into your 2 scart sockets on the tv? In socket 1 have you got your digital tuner box and socket 2 the recordable tuner. Then I take it you've got the dvd wired through the recordable tuner which is into socket 2?

arad85

Had this on other threads but its a separate issue so have started a new thread.

Got the new tv yesterday and after a bit of tinkering I've got the pic on sky+ and freeview just right. Blacks good, pq sharp as a tack. Really pleased.

When I try to play a dvd everything is green. The menu page instead of being blue is green, solid bright emeral green. When a dvd plays and doesn't fill the screen the bands top and bottom are green. The picture is washed with green.

1) I thought it was a dodgy scart so changed it but no change to the pic. Still green.
2) Thought it might be the scart socket on the tv so wired up my vcr with the same scart to the same socket on the tv and the vcr plays fine. No green anywhere. Good colours.
3) Concluded from all this that the dvd was done. Its 5 years old and was as cheap as chips then. It was playing fine the day before the new telly arrived though.
4) Brought the dvd down to my mothers this morning and wired it through the same scart to her wee 19" new Sammy and bingo, no green anywhere. Good pic and good colours.

I need the help of the boffins here. Whats happening? Is there a setting on the dvd menu on the telly that I've missed? Is the dvd not compatible with the tv? Why is it good on one set but not on mine?

Help :lease:
This sounds VERY much like you have component signals being displayed. Which SCART is it connected to (IIRC, the Panas are not all full RGB SCARTS) and what format of picture output is the DVD player set to.

The reason the other boxes could be OK on the same SCART is that they may be set to output composite video.

nitelife

Im with arad85. Check your DVD is outputing RGB (was a setting on mine and I was getting the same result until I changed it).

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Im with arad85. Check your DVD is outputing RGB (was a setting on mine and I was getting the same result until I changed it).

My dvd does not have an RGB output setting in the menu but the scart socket on the dvd player does say RGB. I went through the menu last night but couldn't find this rgb setting anywhere.

The pic format on the dvd was set to 4:3 but even changing it to 16:9 made no difference. Is that what you mean?

The 2 scarts on the Panny are stated to be RGB. My sky+ box is into socket 1 and the dvd was into socket 2.

What if I wired the dvd player through the vcr via scart then the vcr into the tv? Would that bypass the problem?

audiphile76

Just to confirm: What have you get wired into your 2 scart sockets on the tv? In socket 1 have you got your digital tuner box and socket 2 the recordable tuner. Then I take it you've got the dvd wired through the recordable tuner which is into socket 2?

Only one of the sockets behind TV is in use. Here it is represented

TV <-- Recordable digital box <-- DVD player

arad85

My dvd does not have an RGB output setting in the menu but the scart socket on the dvd player does say RGB. I went through the menu last night but couldn't find this rgb setting anywhere.
It should be somewhere... It's still where I'd look. May be called "colour space" or "colour format". It could be called a number of things but see if you can see something set to YUV or YCC or YPB (or similar). It should be set to RGB.

The pic format on the dvd was set to 4:3 but even changing it to 16:9 made no difference. Is that what you mean?
Nope, that's aspect ratio and refers to the ratio between picture horizontal and vertical size.

The 2 scarts on the Panny are stated to be RGB. My sky+ box is into socket 1 and the dvd was into socket 2.
Try swapping them. I'm willing to bet that the problem will follow the DVD player.

What if I wired the dvd player through the vcr via scart then the vcr into the tv? Would that bypass the problem?
You will normally fall back to composite when you do this, which will be a worse picture. It will work, but will be worse...

I still think the problem is with your DVD player.

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Only one of the sockets behind TV is in use. Here it is represented

TV <-- Recordable digital box <-- DVD player

Okay, I've got it now. I'll try this tonight and see what happens. I'm not sure in my mind why it should make a difference but I'll give it a go.

If the tv and the dvd player are rgb enabled then why doesn't it work when wired directly? I'll check the menu again tonight but there was no rgb output in the menu to change.

audiphile76

Okay, I've got it now. I'll try this tonight and see what happens. I'm not sure in my mind why it should make a difference but I'll give it a go.

If the tv and the dvd player are rgb enabled then why doesn't it work when wired directly? I'll check the menu again tonight but there was no rgb output in the menu to change.

I dont know that. First both DVD player and recordable box were connected through independent scarts to TV. Somehow i could not get the auto enablement on when one of these were on. While i did trial and error all of a sudden playing DVD gave me all green. Trying to fix both things ended up connection DVD player via the terrestrial box and then everything started to work.

Note: If this doesnt work, try to connect with the same setup to second scart behind PX80. Maybe it helps.

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Arad,

Thanks for you time and help here. I'm sure your right re it being the dvd player. The fact the vcr worked fine into socket 2 confirms that the socket and the cables are fine. Its something with the player. Thanks for the guide re what it might be called, I'll try this later and see what I can find.

The only thing is that when I wired the dvd player into my mums 19" samsung this morning to check, everything was fine. The Sammy has an rgb enabled scart, the dvd player has the same and the pic was fone, so it would seem that the dvd player is already set to rgb if the pic is fine on the sammy. :confused:

New ps3 through hdmi coming up me thinks!

arad85

Arad,

Thanks for you time and help here.
You're welcome :)

I'm sure your right re it being the dvd player. The fact the vcr worked fine into socket 2 confirms that the socket and the cables are fine.
Actually, no it doesn't. The VCR may not be outputting RGB, but may be CVBS or S-video.

The only thing is that when I wired the dvd player into my mums 19" samsung this morning to check, everything was fine. The Sammy has an rgb enabled scart, the dvd player has the same and the pic was fone, so it would seem that the dvd player is already set to rgb if the pic is fine on the sammy. :confused:
Not necessarily. Did you use teh same SCART cable? Not all SCART cables are fully connected internally, so the RGB SCART may only have been seeing CVBS. Did it say RGB mode on screen (sorry, not familiar with the Sammy to know how it signals if it is in RGB mode). I guess that's the problem with a cable capable of carrying more than one signal type...

Try swapping the Sky+ (which I would guess you have setup as RGB) onto SCART 2 and see what happens.

I guess it's a good excuse ;)

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Sorry the quote thing hasn't come out right. Arad's comments in "".

"Actually, no it doesn't. The VCR may not be outputting RGB, but may be CVBS or S-video".

But thats my point. Even if the vcr isn't outputting RGB it still works. With my sky+ box there is a choice between RBG and Pal. RGB is the better pic but Pal still works. Surely if the dvd isn't set to RGB it would still display correctly even though not as good as with RGB? Or am I talking hewhaw?

"Not necessarily. Did you use teh same SCART cable? Not all SCART cables are fully connected internally, so the RGB SCART may only have been seeing CVBS. Did it say RGB mode on screen (sorry, not familiar with the Sammy to know how it signals if it is in RGB mode). I guess that's the problem with a cable capable of carrying more than one signal type..."

Same scart. Even tried two, a cheapo and a more expensive gold plated one. Both worked fine through the sammy. Didn;t notice what it was displaying so will check in a mo.

"Try swapping the Sky+ (which I would guess you have setup as RGB) onto SCART 2 and see what happens".

Good shout. That will then confirm if its the RGB thingy or not, right?

"I guess it's a good excuse ;)[/quote]"

Bring it on. Problem is, my wife thinks that this has been the master plan all along and that I've no intention of getting the old dvd to work!

arad85

But thats my point. Even if the vcr isn't outputting RGB it still works. With my sky+ box there is a choice between RBG and Pal. RGB is the better pic but Pal still works. Surely if the dvd isn't set to RGB it would still display correctly even though not as good as with RGB? Or am I talking hewhaw?
It does depend. Composite video is a separate connection in the cable and whether it is RGB or CVBS depends on another signal in the SCART cable. It depends what the cheapo DVD and VCR are doing with the pin as to what the TV is thinking it sees.

Have you made sure all the SCART cables were seated correctly when you tried the test?

"Try swapping the Sky+ (which I would guess you have setup as RGB) onto SCART 2 and see what happens".

Good shout. That will then confirm if its the RGB thingy or not, right? [/QUOET]Assuming the Sky is set to output RGB, then yes, it should confirm it.

jamiesdad

Hi there

yes but aren't wives suspicious by nature:devil:

Any way your new tv deserves a nice hdmi cabled ps3:thumbsup:

but good luck convincing the wife:)

Regards

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Hooked it up to the Sammy again to check if the source is displayed but it isn't. Just says "Ext", nothing else.

Had the sockets in, out, in, out and shook them all about. Yip, they were in all right.

It is something simple to do with a setting, of that I'm sure.

I'll hook the sky+ box up to scart 2 tonight and see what I get just to make sure its the dvd.

matr69

Arad,

Thanks for you time and help here. I'm sure your right re it being the dvd player. The fact the vcr worked fine into socket 2 confirms that the socket and the cables are fine. Its something with the player. Thanks for the guide re what it might be called, I'll try this later and see what I can find.

That is what I was going to suggest, get a PS3 will be 50 million times better anyway.

ha ha I thought you were a female (seriously) think you made some comment the other day and it must have been a joke and I took it literally or perhaps it is the Elise part of your name (I know it is car)

You have no excuses now - make it work!:D

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
That is what I was going to suggest, get a PS3 will be 50 million times better anyway.

ha ha I thought you were a female (seriously) think you made some comment the other day and it must have been a joke and I took it literally or perhaps it is the Elise part of your name (I know it is car)

You have no excuses now - make it work!:D

Charming. First I get asked if I've got the cables fitted properly and now you think I'm a burd.

Next you'll be suggesting that if the screen was pink I wouldn't mind so much.

(a group of women getting ready to hurl abuse).

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Been through the whole thing again but nothing doing.

1) Put sky+ into av2 but it was fine so the problem is with the dvd player.
2) Wired the dvd through the scart in the vcr then the vcr into av2 but still green everywhere.
3) Went through the dvd menu but there is nothing about RGB setting. I did notice though that when I switched the dvd on the logo "ec/av2 RGB" came up on the screen then the green, so it does look like the dvd is on RGB afterall. There is hardly anything in the dvd set up menu re detail. I searched for colour source, colour input etc but nothing. There is only 4 things in the dvd set up menu and I've checked each one to see whats in it but there's hardly anything re detail. Its a Bush dvd player and cheap, very cheap so it might just be that there's no setting for RGB as its the default.
4) I've gone through all settings in the tv re av2 and tried a few things but nothigns changed.
5) Tomorrow I'll get a dvd player from a friend and set it up to make sure its not a problem with dvd's in general with this set.

Any other ideas chaps?

A.I.

I'm watching this thread with interest because I have the same green exactly as you describe in your post.

I have a new PS3 connected by HDMI to my 50'' Samsung plasma (18 months old). At first I thought I had my PS3 settings wrong so I tested it on my sons TV and all was well. I've convinced myself that the HDMI connection on the back of the Samsung is faulty or that the display is on the way out.

Component connection works fine (No Emerald City here Toto:eek:) but the PQ is naff.

I'm going to have a new Panasonic next month when they come out:smashin:.

Sorry I can't help but have a chunk of sympathy.

Good Luck.

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Strange thing happened during the footie. There must have been a bad signal feed about half way through extra time and the pic on the tv crackled fizzed and went green, just like when I turn the dvd on. This was on sky sports 1. So whatever that green screen is its in the tv and not the dvd as the dvd wasn't connected to the tv at all. A second or two later the pic came back perfect.

I'll keep my eye on this and try another dvd tomorrow to see what happens there. If its the same then I think I'll be giving JL a buzz.

I know little or nothing about this but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it does it with the next dvd player I plug in. I think there's a problem with the set reading the dvd signal properly. As I say, it'll be a call to JL if thats the case.

matr69

Strange thing happened during the footie. There must have been a bad signal feed about half way through extra time and the pic on the tv crackled fizzed and went green, just like when I turn the dvd on. This was on sky sports 1. So whatever that green screen is its in the tv and not the dvd as the dvd wasn't connected to the tv at all. A second or two later the pic came back perfect.

I'll keep my eye on this and try another dvd tomorrow to see what happens there. If its the same then I think I'll be giving JL a buzz.

I know little or nothing about this but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it does it with the next dvd player I plug in. I think there's a problem with the set reading the dvd signal properly. As I say, it'll be a call to JL if thats the case.

Hi mate, that was signal glitch as mine did exactly the same, plus my amplifier didn't like it much either.

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Hi mate, that was signal glitch as mine did exactly the same, plus my amplifier didn't like it much either.

I guessed it was a signal problem but the thing that struck me was that when it happend I got that emerald green screen for hald a sec before the pic came back. Its where that green screen is coming from thats the mystery and why its only affecting the dvd player and nothing else thats plugged into av2.

Does it look like we're beat on this one gents?

matr69

I guessed it was a signal problem but the thing that struck me was that when it happend I got that emerald green screen for hald a sec before the pic came back. Its where that green screen is coming from thats the mystery and why its only affecting the dvd player and nothing else thats plugged into av2.

Does it look like we're beat on this one gents?

it is a £50 DVD player and as everything else works fine therein lies the problem. Pick yourself up a PS3 and enjoy the world of Blu Ray and upscaled DVDs. The PQ will be way better.

If the PS3 gives a green screen then you know the TV needs replacing.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom