1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with 350d please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by tahirti3, Jul 5, 2005.

1. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had my 350d and 18-55 lens for a couple of weeks and whenever i take indoor photos,nearly all of them are so bright that you can barely see the subjects.this is in fully auto mode and some other modes.anyone able to help before i have to get out the manual?????

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    You haven't actually read the manual then?

DSLR's aren't toys and need understanding and respect to get decent results. Might be worth you having a read first.

3. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can think of one of two things that could be throwing the exposure off (presuming that your monitor is setup properly and that you're not just talking about the LCD screen on the camera itself)...

1. Exposure compensation is set too high (e.g. EC + 2 stops)
    2. Metering is picking up a darker than average area (e.g. if you have selected one focus point, then the metering is based on that one area. If it happens to be darker than average then the camera will overshoot in its attempt to compensate)

Oh yes, and :rtfm:

4. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,967
    There is a little on-line guide here for advice on using digital SLRs

5. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are on automode the vast majority of internal shots should come out fine. Only if you have changed default settings for focus etc, as mentioned above, should there be a problem with most shots.

Are you having problems with shots outside ?

Might be worth posting a shot taken outside, vs inside for people to view & comment.

6. joncl

joncl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a bug in the firmware of this camera. With certain lenses you can get exposure problems. You need to get onto the Canon website and get the latest firmware. Then update your camera. Details are on the website.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/e3kr2_firmware-e.html

This should sort your problem. If you camera has the latest firmware version, then you either have something set wrong or the camera is faulty.

7. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hm. The canon page says:

This firmware update incorporates the following improvements:

1. Fixes the phenomenon of extreme underexposure when using some lenses.
    2. Fixes the phenomenon of auto power off function failure when auto power off is set more than 2 minutes.
    3. Fixes the phenomenon of incorrect white balance when using an external flash.

None of which relate to the OPs problem.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    If you are using the full auto mode indoors then the flash should pop up. is it?
    It could be that the FEC is set to high but im not sure if you can adjust it in this mode so dont think its that.
    there isnt a lot you can adjust in auto mode so cant see how it can be user error.
    can you post one?
    Its does not need the firmware upgrade (although you should do it anyway) as the problem of exposure with certain lenses is not with the kit lens

Dave.

Dave.

9. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have now read the manual after being told off by radiohead.no help there with my problem.yes dave the flash seems to pop up normally.i have never adjusted anything on the camera,i am not a keen user.the firmware is the latest according to canon website.outside shots are fine. and shots with my 550 flashgun are fine as well.
    i dont know how to post a shot ,i think you can tell i just want to point and shoot.i had the 300d before this and had no problem.the bad shots are not even viewable

10. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I consider being advised to read the manual of a serious camera quite sensible advice.

Certainly more sensible than not being bothered and then expecting other people to effectively do it for you.

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Sound like its a hardware fault.
    You cant make any major adjustments in auto that will throw the exposure that far off unless you are aiming it at a very dark subject.

Dave.

12. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry radiohead,i seem to have offended you somehow.i just thought that a forum like this is for discussing problems regardless of whether i have read the manual or not.
    and i can see that you are a very serious person from the type of strap you use on your extremely serious d70.

dave thanks for your help, i think i will try taking it back to dealer.

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    No problem. just out of intrest what does the histogram look like to the over exposed pics?

I gues the first thing people will say is read the manual although anyone that knows the camera and knows that in Auto you cant change much would have realised reading the manual would be pointless. i didnt read mine till the second or third day but i had used a 300d before.
    Im only going on the fact you have used Auto. any other modes it can be user error.

Dave.

14. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Might I venture to suggest that if you're only ever going to use the 350D as a point and shoot on Auto that it's quite possibly not the best camera for you?

Something like a Panasonic FZ20 would seem a better solution, assuming that you're not going to be using the high ISO available with the 350D, or buy additional lenses (and the supplied 18-55 doesn't do the camera justice). Just a thought.

As for the strap - they're available for Canons as well. ;)

15. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Radiohead, he said he uses other modes as well.
    As he has only had it a few weeks its not unresonable to expect hin to use the creative and auto modes. SLR is a very steep learning experiance but you should expect auto to produce atleast nice pics if not great.
    whats wrong with expecting the kit to work together and whats so wrong with the kit lens?
    if you look in the forums at dpreview you will find lots of happy useres. granted its not fantastic but i think most people that have used it consider it value for money.

all to often we see people suggesting "maybe you should of gone for a more basic camera" rather than telling people to stick with it.

Dave.

16. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    " i just want to point and shoot"

"i have never adjusted anything on the camera,i am not a keen user"

Says it all. As you say, an SLR is a learning curve that needs time and effort. The OP doesn't indicate that's going to happen. What's so wrong with the suggestion that it might not be the best choice? Why exactly did the OP change from a 300D? Was that always used as a point and shoot? These are valid questions that can be asked as the 350D is going back.

My point was simply that a DSLR on full auto is a waste, and other cameras might be a better bet. The 350D is a superb camera and is wasted with the £50 lens Canon bung in.

I do apologise to the OP for my original posts. I was a particularly grumpy sod.

17. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first got my 20D I used the basic modes.

Next day I started using aperture priority and auto depth of field mode.

Basic modes are just that - basic. A DSLR camera is a complex beast. To get the best out of it you have to know the fundamentals of SLR photography.

The original poster set themself up for the comments by saying they had not read the manual. Instead of the manual a basic SLR photography book would be a good starting point.

The particular problem of extreme over exposure sounds like extreme user error or a hardware fault.

18. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Im not having a go at you its just ive seen that sort of reply so many times im getting fed up with it (and ive had a long day as well).
    i went from about 5 years of P&S, the last 2 years with a s400 with hardley any control over shooting and although i had borrowed a 300d a couple of times i had only used it on auto and P because i didnt know how to use manual. im now starting to get to grips with my 350d but when i asked a few basic questions at the start on other sites and mentioned i had used auto i was also told that because i didnt know i had got the wrong type of camera.
    To be honest i think the full auto is crap and too limiting considering what you can achieve in P mode. Cant agree about the lens though. its a good starter lens and also keeps the kit price low for first time buyers.

Dave.

19. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    but he also said we had a 300d. the manual is really just to tell you how to use the camera and not really a book about SLR. as he had owned a dSRLR you could assume he knows about exposure etc. (not saying he does)

Dave.

20. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dave i am sorry but do not know what you mean by histogram over the shot.the shots that are over exposed are just so bright that u can barely see image,a bit like looking directly at the sun!!!
    in response to radiohead, some of us like the feel of an slr even though we might not exploit it fully.my 300d was fine in auto.
    i would also think that a d-slr in auto would still outperform most compacts.
    a bit like telling a sports car owner that he should not have bought it if he was not going to drive like a racing driver.
    i have 2 lenses and results are same with both re built-in flash.

21. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    So why not buy an ultra-zoom that handles like an SLR, as something like the FZ20 does. I'm not suggesting binning the 350D for a compact, but that you should consider some of the excellent prosumer models around. DiMage A200?

I'd imagine you'd get better results with them as a point and shoot.

Dave - the 18-55 is a good starter lens, but it's just that. If the OP isn't going to buy better glass then it's never going to perform to its best.

Regardless of the camera, it's the person holding it that makes the real difference anyway, so the sports car analogy is interesting. Might the owner not consider some training when he's done on a bend by yet another Focus driver?

22. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    If when you view the image on the camera you select info(you may need to press this twice) you get a graph that looks like a mountain range. are they all at the right hand side?

Ahh, now you have opened up a whole new can of worms of which im not getting involved. :-0
    You'll see why.
    good luck

Dave.

23. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dave i will check the info on the shots,and thanks again for help.
    radiohead thans for your input as well.
    re the sports car driver,he may not care that he got done on a bend and could be happy driving along at 30 mph.still does not mean he is a fool for buying it.

24. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Do you have photoshop? Should be on the discs that came with the camera.

Resize an example down to 800 pixels wide and reduce to around 100k and you can upload here as an attachment so we can see whats going on.

The exif data would be useful too, just post that if you can't suss out how to do a picture yet

ps, I drive a Trans Am, and no effing Focus will ever get by me.. :rotfl: :rotfl:

25. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair point. In all of my 20D pictures to date I have never had one over exposed to the degree stated.

It does sound like a faulty camera.

Can we see a problem picture?

26. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Photoshop? now that would be nice. a £500 piece of software free with a £600 camera ;-).
    You dont even get elements with the 350d although the supplied DPP program is nice but nowhere near any of the current Adobe stuff.

Re: the Focus........Unless your Trans Am developes a fault of course.

Dave.

27. kenlynch

kenlynch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a couple of things about this thread.

First, why do people get criticised for using a DSLR as a point-and-shoot? If anything, a DSLR is much better at point-and-shoot than a lot of compact cameras due to their better performance.

Second, the original poster hasn't actually posted anything to have a look at to see exactly what the problem might be, posting an image with EXIF info may help to discover whether it is user or camera error.

28. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Yes it is, but a 350D on full auto with the 18-55 will, IMO, be no better (and quite possibly worse) than a prosumer (rather than a compact).

29. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Im with Radiohead on this (and most people in the othe forums on the net). A dSRL would be faster and you have a greater choice of lenses but on the whole a P&S will be more geared up for no PP. people are always going on about how soft dSLR images are compared to P&S cameras.

Quite right but based on the fact he was using auto (and only on that fact) what could he have altered to get such bad exposure. you cant overide anything.

Dave.

30. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,772
    That's the number 1 choice for trailerpark housewives :devil: and...on the first sight of a corner it would stop itself and wee its pants as it is so scared it can't do it... :rotfl:

I do agree with the sportscar analagy though...And for that matter of fact 4x4's as well, just because I've got one doesn't mean I have to be playing in the mud everyday...It is really good for taking my little girl to school and parking up the curb, though we'd have be careful of the 22" low profile alloys as they may get damaged :devil:

Come on if someone wants a dSLR and use it in auto only that's fine...I can fully understand that someone likes the form factor better and perhaps even have the idea that in time to come they want to do more...and if they don't fine as well....

Lighten up :oops: that was exactly the problem :rotfl: If it is that bad in auto, return the camera...Don't even waste time to try and find the resolution...