1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with 32" TV purchase please

Discussion in 'TVs' started by CanaryFairy, Jan 13, 2005.

1. CanaryFairy

CanaryFairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

as a newbie to this forum I would appreciate a liitle advice on which
    CRT Widescreen to buy.....

I mainly watch off-air broadcasts via the std aerial and sky digibox and also to a lesser degree DVDs
    I watch a lot of sport (especially football/motorsport)

I am looking at 32 inch sets and have been to quite a few retailers to see the sets for myself
    and have noted the following....

100hz scanning generally appears to my eyes to create a much worse picture than 50hz scanning
    on nearly all sets I have seen this has caused blocky, blurred images that leave
    trails on fast moving objects - is 100hz scanning/pixel plus etc. supposed to make the picture better ????

Panasonic sets seem to me to have the most natural images but I have found it very difficult to
    make comparisons between sets as most retailers have either a terrible aerial feed
    (how does anyone choose a TV when the pictures are all terrible in a given retailers?)
    or they have a DVD feed of some images that are designed not to cause problems with the image)

Of the TV's I have he TX32PD50 looked superb via a DVD feed but I was unable to test this TV on
    sport via the SKY box etc. and I'm worried about the digital processing causing problems with Sport.

is there any other TV's I should add to my list of possible candidates ?

Thanks

CanaryFairy

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    At this present time 50htz sets look a lot better with football and fast moving sports,however dvd playback on a good 100htz is fantastic.Until they can improve the scanning methods on 100htz,i think you are better off with a 50htz if you mostly watch football.

3. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I have a 100hz 32" CRT and it has no problems at all with fast moving images eg sport and the like. And I watch a lot of football. I think a lot of it comes down to the quality of the processing. Pop down to Comet, JL or wherever and have a good look at both 50 and 100hz and let your eyes decide. Btw, the TX32PD50 is great but was just out of my budget at the time I was looking.

4. CanaryFairy

CanaryFairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice - I find it impossible to assess the picture quality in most department stores as the aerial feed is usually shockingly bad - Often sets which have the most features appear to have a worse picture !

I cannot believe that people do not notice the problems with some of the poor 100hz sets (mind you I have never seen a decent LCD TV - although a lot of colleagues rave about the quality of the picture on these!)

the other annoying thing is that most 50hz sets are base models with inferior connection capability, looks etc.

Choices Choices.....

CanaryFairy

5. Brainboy

Brainboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    CanaryFairy,

Your usage seems to be the same as mine only difference is I am with Telewest Cable not Sky. I think the same as you do about all the 100Hz sets I have seen re sports and also think Spoktra is absolutely spot on. As a result I am coming round to thinking the Sony KD 32DX200 is the best bet as you can switch it easily from 100Hz to either straight 50Hz or 50Hz with Sony's DRC processing. I have seen it in the Edinburgh Sony Centre with Sony Freeview feed and 50Hz DRC looks good for football and for DVD's you can switch it back to 100Hz. My main doubt is if 50Hz can give good PQ on a 32" screen; there also seem to be very few problems posted about this set which also encourages me!

100/50 Hz switchable sets seem the only solution if sport is your thing and you can see the digital artifacts (how anyone can miss them amazes me) other than waiting for LCD to stop making everything look computer animated!

6. CanaryFairy

CanaryFairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip on the Sony Brainboy - I'll track one of those down at the weekend ....does anyone know if any other manafacturer's sets are switchable from 100hz to 50hz as this sounds like a good solution for me?

Cheers

CanaryFairy

7. BernieC

BernieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CanaryFairy,

The Tosh 32ZP46P is a great TV. I have the 36" version but both sets have multiple scanning settings that include Active and Progressive. The upshot is that you get a good, crisp picture with no pixelation - even when watching football!

Check teh following link for more info:

www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/home.nsf/pages/whatis-pf3-trueimage?opendocument

Also, have a look on the threads on the 36ZP46 as the the same applies to both sets.

BTW you can currently get the 32ZP46 from Comet for £699 (Curry's £759).

Hope this helps.