Help with 3.0 speaker “surround system” in a large open-concept living area

Yalo Vinaka

Novice Member
Perhaps you should post the speaker question on the "hi fi stereo speakers" forum?

Given the large space, you should look for speakers with a "high" sensitivity rating. I gave a link above that will help you determine SPL given distance, sensitivity and power. The Triangle you mentioned has a sensitivity of 92.5dB/W/m, the Rebel 88dB/W/m. For the same power and distance, the Triangle will yield 4.5dB more SPL. The GoldenEar is 91dB/W/m (3dB more than the Rebel).

Subwoofers can be well hidden, but unless you're into action films, having a subwoofer may not be critical.

Kitchens don't need lots of equipment, only the speakers need to be physically present, and they can be in-wall (or in-ceiling). The rest of the system can utilize your Wifi and be controlled by a smartphone. Perhaps you could take a look at what Sonos have to offer here (you said the Linn was over budget). The cabled solution with NAD + speakers will also work. As well as the NAD M10 you may wish to consider a NAD C399.

I always wonder when people say their wife won't allow it. I've had no problems finding solutions together with my wife. I do involve her at all stages and consider the aesthetics up front. Our main limiting factor is that we rent, so don't have a free hand for in-wall installations or cabling.
Thanks @Mark.Yudkin I‘ll post another thread about my speaker thoughts with some details on our space for Feedback from others who may have thoughts...

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom