Help with 2308 1930 required

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by anovikov, Jan 18, 2008.

1. anovikov

anovikov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,
    I just received my AVR-2308 and spent some time trying to set-up the theater and failed. Looks like I completely screwed-up everything :eek:. Currently I have:

DVD/CD player: Denon DVD-1930
    AVR: Denon AVR-2306
    TV: Panasonic HD ready LCD
    Audio: 5 nobrand speakers
    Cables: HDMI QED and VDH
    Extra video-audio: I'm planing to connect my notebook to receiver via s-video and rca cables.

I connect DVD with AVR and AVR with TV with HDMI cables. Currently the situation is the following:
    1) I can't listen to audio if stereo/direct/pure d. modes set on receiver :mad:;
    2) When player run SACD, receiver shows "unknown format" in input info (and produce no sound) :confused:;
    3) TV picture always has some colored noise (small horizontal colored lines) :suicide:;
    4) Although TV manual says that it can run 1080p, receiver thinks that 1080i is the max resolution.

I think the best option is to reset all settings and start all over. How can I do that ?

Should I get digital cables to connect audio out from dvd to audio-in in receiver and directly connect dvd and tv by hdmi?

How can I enable pre-out output ?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Alexei.

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,069
    Hi

Sounds like something isn't right somewhere so your best bet is to reset it and start again. To reset, turn the power off completely, hold down the Speaker A and Speaker B buttons on the front panel then turn the power back on. Hold the buttons a few seconds and the display will flash and reset the unit.

1) They should work. A reset should cure that.

2) For SACD via HDMI you need HDMI 1.2 or above on both the player and the Amp. The 1930 is only HDMI 1.1 so it won't pass SACD via HDMI.

3) Again, a reset might cure that but recheck your cabling is seated correctly.

4) Can the TV accept 1080p via HDMI though? Some can via Component and not HDMI or vice versa.

Personally, I'd connect via Optical or Coaxial cables from the DVD player for sound and connect HDMI directly to the TV for video.

The Pre-Outs are always enabled you don't need to do anything to them.

3. anovikov

anovikov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase,
    if I understand correctly SACD on 1930 will play only via analog output. No digital connection will be working.

Thus it look like I will have to connect the theater in the following way:
    Video: HDMI to TV
    1930 Audio: 5.1 analog to Receiver (EXT.IN)

2308 Video: HDMI to TV (upsclaing of S-video signal from notebook)

In this setup _ALL_ audio (both from DVD and CD/SACD) will be analog, or I'll have to switch ANALOG, HDMI audio settings on 1930 every time I switch from movies to audio.

Please correctly if I'm wrong.

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,069
    If you connect the 1930 to the 2803 via optical/coaxial as well then you can use that for movies (Dolby/DTS) and use the 5.1 analog signal (EXT IN) for DVD Audio/SACD.

You'd then leave the Input Mode set to AUTO on the 2803 but may need to manually select the EXT IN's when you listen to DVD Audio/SACD.

HDMI to the TV will be fine if you want to upscale the S-Video signal from your notebook. :)