1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with 2 things please, the first! putting my mind at rest

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by blackjack, Feb 9, 2003.

1. blackjack

blackjack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok first thing is i think i need some mind reassurance here

i've been looking at av receivers since christmas and i chose a denon avr1803 from empiredirect but it blew up in a big way after 10mins of use. had a nightmare getting it picked up by empiredirect. i wanted my money back but they persuaded me to have a replacment model on the conditions i get the full 12months warrenty.

so after running the replacement ( i must stress at this point i was very nervous about turning it on due to the nature of the first unit blowing up and the hastle of returning it.) for 4 days i came home rfom work turned it on and upon turning the volume up it shut down into standby i descovered it was only when i selected settings that gave me the options to use the rear speakers(7.1) but if i chose stereo setting which won't let me use the rear speakers i could crank up the volume as load as it goes.

so what i had now was another amp gone wrong, and i can't begin to tell u the trouble i had sending this one back, not that empiredirect wouldn't have it back but they kept telling me they booked a pick up but never did, it finaly went this friday.

i purchase over the internet a hell of a lot and this experiance has left me scared in respect of buying another amp over the net.

sorry for the above long winded text but i thought i had to put u in the pictur first.

now for the help bits.

1st...

am i just very very unlucky here that i had 2 new denon units that had 2 different things go wrong with them in a very short period, shall i stear clear of denon as this makes me want to do so even though i like there amps very much.??

2nd...

after having these avr1803 amps i realised that i didn't really need the 7.1 feature just 5.1 but do need a A/B speaker option to run speakers in the other half of my living room, the avr1803 does not have the A/B speaker option.

i was thinking of going down in models to just 5.1 but with A/B option (avr1603) or up in model where u get 7.1 as well as A/B speaker option (avr2802)

i was thinking of going down to RS but i can't see anything on there website that takes my fancy.

what do you think.

thanx for any help on this.

BJ.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    As far as Denon quality goes I seriously doubt they are any worse than any of the other main brands in the field, I would think you have just been unlucky. If you like the sound, I don't see a need not to go for Denon again.

AV land has quite a good range of receivers, have a look down their list and see what takes your fancy.

AVLand receiver list

Buying online can be a good or bad experience, it depends mainly on which suppllier you choose and also on luck.

From what I have read, Empire Direct does not have a good reputation.

I currently have a receiver on order from HifiBitz, a forum sponsor here who are doing 5% off until the end of the month for AV Forum users. They have been good so far and customer comments are generally positive.

In my experience (I've been buying online for about 5 years now, about £6,000 of goods, mainly computer equipment) it is worth paying a little more to go with a company with a good reputation.

3. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +361
    If you're considering other options then the Sony 1080 has 6.1 compatability and an A/B option. Costs about £350 so it's in the same price bracket. Or a lot of people are saying good things about the Yamaha 630 (though I don't know if this has an A/B option).

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can I just add that Empire Direct are probably fine as long as you never need *any* backup from them and never have a problem.

Unfortunately their customer service leaves a *lot* to be desired. They cannot commit to call you at a particular time, nor can they transfer your call to someone with any clout. Recently it took me over a month to get a refund out of them for an item that they sent out by mistake. :mad:

Anyway, don't let this put you off buying over the net. Yes some retailers are better than others, as Daneel said go with a company that has a good reputation.

My current favourite is HiFi Junkies, they're flexible on price (ie they'll match) and give decent advice. I just ordered some interconnects from them last Friday afternoon, they arrived first thing Saturday. Nuff said!

As far as kit is concerned, I'd consider the newer models from Marantz and look at the Yamahas in addition to the Denons.

5. RobTheLegend

RobTheLegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi there.
    Just got my Yamaha rxv630 2 weeks ago and i am very impressed with the performance.
    The Denon ,Marantz5300,and the Yammy630 were all on my shortlist but i decided to go with the Marantz for the musical qualities.I experienced a few problems with the Marantz so got a refund and bought the yammy from RC for £320.
    The yammy does have a/b speaker switching and sounds amazing with a good dts/digital soundtrack.It has 6.1 sound.
    The marantz does not have speaker switching.
    Hope this helps
    rob :hiya:

6. mspiteri

mspiteri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having bought a 1803 myself last week I find your post as slightly worrying. However, I must say it all sounds a bit too unlucky to have two amps fail like this ... I've done online searches re the 1803 in the US and UK and could not find any other reports of failure anywhere.

Could it be something in your setup? Since you said Stereo was fine, could it be a problem with your surround speakers, cables or conections? The manual says the amp will shutdown if there is a short in the cabling.

Or could it be ventilation?

If you still have the second 1803 maybe you should do a few experiments - you do not want to damage a third amplifier if your problem is elsewhere.

Re 7.1, it's really 6.1 as the surround speaker connection share one channel. Provided you have 'Surround back' enabled from the front fascia you can use this in DSP mode and in Dolby Digital and DTS. I do not believe ProLogic or Neo use the 6th channel.

Good luck
    Mark

7. mspiteri

mspiteri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh, by the way I got my 1803 from Unbeatable as they had a fantastic price on it. Cannot comment on the Customer Service yet (hope I do not have to).

However as for service I would recommend the HiFi Store. I bought the rest of my system's components from them and they were excellent. Great response by email or phone.

M

8. blackjack

blackjack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ mspiteri

i disconnected the rear surround speakers from the amp and it still shut down into standby mode so it could not be a dodgy connection from them and it was only when a mode was selected that gave me the option to use the rear surround amp.

even still.. very interesting as all my cables run under my laminated floor and i've put jack sockets into the skirting board so u never know i suppose. anyone know of a good way of testing to see if there is cables touching?????

thanx for the replies here, i have been looking around at others and not much takes my fancy other than the denon avr2803 thats dew out march some time.

only reason this one takes my fancy is that its got 7 amps( 2 for the rear A/B speakers instead of one amp).

i will however take a look at other models posted in this thread.

@Jet555

that yamy looks good and i was looking at that as an alturnative but couldn't find anywhere that said it had A/B speaker switching so nice tip thanx.

thanx.

BJ.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blackjack,

Attached is a copy of what's in the Denon AVR1603 manual, probably says the same in the 1803 manual.

[​IMG]

Maybe this is what you are experiencing?

10. blackjack

blackjack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    again nice post, but the unit operated fine when i got it but after 4 days the unit was off all day and i got in from work it would cut off when turned up maybe just after haly way, the unit was not hot and it did it with the speakers disconnected,PL2, 5.1stereo, etc.

if i selected the stereo and another couple of settings that didn't allow me to use the rear speaker option at all then i could crank it up as far as i wanted no probs. it just indicated the prob was something to do with the rear (6.1) surround amp option.

BJ.