Help with 1st HTPC build.

rustybolt

Standard Member
Hi all

im about to embark on a complete home media build with in the next couple of months. I hope to record my progress on a build thread but need to start some planning. Hope fully some guys can point me in the right direction.

I plan to do the following:

Rebuild previous PC into a server case with 12 internal bays for mass storage. Im going to link them in a RAID config, something ive no experience of. Would like 4TB (4 x 1tb) drives to start with. This will be mounted in the loft somewhere with some type of extraction to the soffets.

Ive chosen a 46" Panasonic Viera 1080 plasma which will be in the sitting room which is perfectly square and ideal for my plans. I want full 1080 blueray capabilities next to it which i plan to do with a shuttle HD PC. IVe seen this one but possibly i might build myself one if it works out cheaper.

http://eu.shuttle.com/en/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-171/310_read-14362/

I want full 5.1 surround via some nice speakers ive yet to decide on. I presume ill be running these via an AV receiver. What i want to know how do you get full 5.1 sound from the shuttle to the amp?

I also plan to run a PS3 and SKY HD which i want connecting all into the same network. Is their anyway of recording off sky directly onto the server in the loft.

I plan to run some type of media software so i can catalogue all the blu-ray films i 'borrow'. I will also have a HDTV in the bedroom which want to be able to access the server in the loft so i can watch films in bed.

I also want 2 cameras on the front and rear of the house to be able to record data in some type of time lapse way onto a dedicated drive in the server.

And finally, my office will need another system, maybe another shuttle for internet access and such.

So plenty of planning, hope fully some guys can give me some pointers in terms of where to start.

Russ

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom