Help: why can't I see my wireless signal?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by silverpuma, Jan 12, 2008.

1. silverpuma

silverpuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi please :lease: help me!!!

I have my main desktop computer connected via a Actiontec cable/dsl router and it is working fine. No problems connecting to the web. Its when I try to connect the actiontec usb wireless adaptor or even my other backup wireless adaptor a linksys pci wireless card, to my laptop running xp service pack 2 that I cant get it to work. It just consistently shows my neighbours "BT" network offering me to connect but no signs of my actiontec:eek:.

I have went to the Actiontec site and upgraded my wireless usb adaptor but still no joy. Though I think my problem is not with either my Linksys or Actiontec adaptor because, it seems my problem is that I can't see my Wireless connection available.

So....how do I check that somewhere in my actiontec router it is not sending out a wireless signal.

I should have mentioned at the start that my laptop has been working with both actiontec and linksys usb adaptors before and for the past 3 months I had been using the linksys's pci wireless adaptor with no problems. It just stopped for no apparent reason.

Hope this makes some sense:) and thanks in advance for any advice or help.

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Maybe you need to change channel away from the channel that your neighbour(s) are using.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. M3ZZR

M3ZZR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The first thing i would check is that the router has the wireless turned on, and if it is, then check to see that it has the option to broadcast the SSID.

to check these, you need to log into the routers interface, which you can do of the hard wired desktop pc.

Never used your particular make before, but usually the interface address are usually one of 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1 or 10.0.0.1

4. silverpuma

silverpuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks guys for the help:smashin: I think checking if the SSID is turned on is the answer. I'll see if I can hunt down the details.