Help - which to buy??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bewildered, Nov 18, 2004.

1. bewildered

bewildered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice please.......We are looking to purchase one of the 160GB DVD Recorders and were leaning towards either the Sony HX9000 or the Panasonic E95. However, I have since picked up on the fact the Sony 9000 has only very basic editing funtionality on the HDD (ie can't separate a 3 hr recording to archive to 2 DVD-RW discs) which has raised alarm bells. Also, it seems the Panasonic doesn't archive to DVD-RW format which is not clear in the Magazine reviews.

I have now been advised to consider the new Pioneer 720H as an alternative to the above. I understand it has excellent 'usability' features but maybe isn't as good a quality picture for record/playback (whereas the Sony seems to have excellent reviews in this area). Is the picture quality that different - ie would the average 'joe user' who is not a techie purist detect the difference.

It seems to be a compromise between quality, functionality, flexibility.

Does anyone have a recommendation between the above products. Price is not really an issue as they are all similar in price range.

Comments welcome please............. :lease:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    If you have a decent screen then yes you'll notice a difference. In recording quality the Panasonic is best, followed by Sony and then Pioneer.

Yes that's correct If you just want to record a programme, trim start/finish/adverts and then archive to DVD-R then it's fine. Anything more then look at the Panasonic instead.

3. bewildered

bewildered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response. TV screen is Sony KV32FX60U. Also, do you happen to know whether the Panasonic E95 will display JPEG images on a CD-r or DVD-r disc?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Afraid not - only on DVD-RAM (or HDD) or PC/SD Card.

I haven't used your TV model but if it's a mid-range Sony then you will indeed benefit from a good DVD recorder although the subtle quality differences between the Sony and Panasonic may be difficult to detect.

5. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's HX900 not 9000 btw.

6. bewildered

bewildered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: