1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help which S-VHS? - JVC 5595, 7955 or panny 830?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by gz5ztg, Jul 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am trying to decide between the JVC HR-S5595 for 130 quid, the JVC HR-S7955 for 160 quid and the panasonic NV-HS830BS at 160 quid.

Obviously if the cheaper JVC is okay I would like to save some money.

Anybody got any experience of these machines? Or anyother other suggestions?

I am replacing a knackered old Matsui which I paid 75 quid for so either is likely to be a huge improvement!

2. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    it appears we are in the same boat, i would like to know peoples thoughts on this one.

also does anyone rate the sharp svhs vcr?

and if so does anyone sell it!

3. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Having just been to Comet to have a look at the machines in question, the JVC seems slightly cheaper in look and feel.

The Panasonic is a much nicer machine to look at. Neither was hooked up to anything so I was unable to see them in action.

From what I gather both have good picture quality, and from the JVC and Panasonic web sites an almost identical feature list.

As such I am tempted by the Panasonic...

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    JVC has a tape library and STB control

The panny doesnt it relies on you setting the Digibox to come on and the vcr detecting the signal (which the JVC can do as well).

To get a tape library there is the Panny 825 at £199 but still no STB.

This boat is getting very crowded!! I was looking at these. Have also considred Thomson 7090 and Panny760, both non SVHS but both very highly specced

5. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Looking at the specs, that particular JVC doesn't have the tape library functionality.

My budget can't really stretch to 200 either unfortunately.

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im pretty sure the 7955 does have a tape library (called tape navigation, buts its an editable list of whats on the tape) and its £169from unbeatable (or it could have beenempire).

Panasonic are about to elease the 780 and 880 hopefully reintroducing the tape library

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    FYI Panasonic 830 does have a tape library doobrey and an 'Intelligent Timer' thingy that can detect set top boxes record settings - you press a button for the latter which downloads what you've set for the box.

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are you absolutely sure. The latest catalogue says that it doesnt and I cant see it listed as part of its spec anywhere. Its manual isnt downloadable so i cant check, and the three or four shops I have asked about it have said it hasnt. If it has then I would buy it

9. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Saw a remote and it said library/search on it. But had a play with one and it's actually a feature that just rewinds a tape and remembers index positions, then proceeds to each one until you choose/stop/find the one you're after. Bit naff feature, but recorded well enough.

10. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That remote is the same across the range. On the 825 and 870 it does what it says it does and brings up a tape library. Im holding out for the 880 as the 780 just came out and had tape library on it

11. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Where did you find out about these new models? Where sells them?

12. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im not sure I should reveal my sources as it reveals I am a bit of a saddo geek that trawls websites looking for the latest movements on VCRs inorder to get the best buy, but this has been brought on by a traumatic death in my home cinema kit family, the lamentable death of my SLVE1000 Sony, sniff.

If you look at the swiss panasonic web site they have them advertised there with a decent spec, but not in the UK.

PRCdirect in the UK are advertising them now I think the 780 is released this month, the 880 next month so give it a month and everyone will stock them. But the UK specs are patchy and inconsistent. I dont understand German(!) so I still dont know if the 880 has a tape library! If you arent as linguitically challenged as me maybe you could help? Panasonic UK know its to be released next month but cant enlighten me.

And if you want an example of my geekdom, if you search yahoo UK for NVHS880 you get the panasonic on line shop with the price as key words, but it is ominously missing from the actual price list. A sign that its uk release is imminant. It looks like itll be about £240 so Im hoping it will retail for about £199.

13. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Mmm,

well looking at the PRC UK website the description for the 880 doesn't mention a tape library so it doesn't look like it has one. Also the price of the 780 is more than the 830 and isn't even S-VHS!

I am already stretching my budget with the 830. I might just wait a couple of weeks and see if I can get a reduced 830 when the newer models come out.

14. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im hoping that the 825 will drop. Its 212 on unbeatable. If the 880 has a tape library then this has no place in the current line up. The only difference being the front fascia so it should drop to end of line prices

If you look at progress of the FJ7?? series ie 760 has deluxe library then the 730 doesnt but new 780 has plain library. Im hoping the HS8?? follows same pattern. As so far the HS8?? is a SVHS version of the FJ7?? where the ?? are the same.

I think the PRC price is MRP as its the same of unbeatable (who have it on the site but dont have the spec). They obviously wont put a discount price until its released and they know more. The spec on PRC is most probably a guess. In fact if you compare the specs across all those selling them they use the same text which looks like one person guessed the rest copied.

Price runner is also a good source for keeping tabs on whose selling what at what price (although they dont always find the best price).

15. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right.

880 looks like a better bet than the 830, but depends which site you go on. The Chzeck panasonic website has tape library missing from spec but the Swiss one has it listed.

Fascia the same just better specced (tape library and 3D Digital noise reduction). Most europe retailing them at 400 euros which is about £280 so assume they will be about that here and about £200 on discount sites. If it doesnt have the tape library, Ill go for discounted 830s as it will be the same machine effectively a replacement. If it does have the tape library I'll go for discounted 825 as the 880 would then be a replacement for that model.

16. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    830 now 149 on empire direct

17. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like prices are dropping in anticipation of the 880. the 825 has dropped by £15 and the 830 by £10 this week on empire direct.

gz5ztg, Ironduke, have either of you bought a VCR yet?

18. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I ended up actually going with the cheaper JVC - 5595. It was down to 120 quid on empire.

Featurewise it seems comparable to the panasonic 830.

Given what I am used to I think I will be happy with it.

It should arrive tomorrow.

19. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    nope I might put a bid on a JVC HR-J795EK NICAM though

how much would you pay for one of these?

20. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The JVC 5595 will be going back. It is not very good frankly.

Perhaps I was expecting a bit much but it feels quite cheap and the picture in s-vhs et seems worse than ordinary vhs. Perhaps better tapes would be needed but I bought new jvc ones the day I got the vcr.

Little things like no tape counter on the front of the unit, no indicator lights to tell you if it is playing/ff/rew etc. You have to use the OSD.

The panasonic seems a higher quality unit all round.

21. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One of the SVHS reviews on whatvideo and tv stated that SVHSET is worse unless you have high quality tapes.

I looked atthe 7955 JVC but for an extra £40 you get the same features and what looks and feels a better VCR from panasonic. The cheapest I was the 7955 for was £159.

22. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Which Panasonic would that be?

Any idea if the 830 is any good?

23. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 825 on empire for 199 (Im waiting for it to drop a little more). It doesnt have the new Panasonic look with split facia. But it looks and feels solid.

The 830 has the new look but doesnt have tape library.

Neither has set top box control but both have external link (they depend on the stb to come on and switch on accordingly - some say this isnt reliable). Obviously you can always use videoplus and simply leave the digibox on. Just a pain of you need to record from 2 differing channels on Sky

The 880 looks like the 830 and may or maynot have the tape library,

The 825 has some editing functions (insert edit and audio dub and photo album).

So it looks like the tape library and the minor edit functions are worth £30-£40. if you compare the 830 and 825.

This is based on reading manuals and seeing the machines (except the 880), not actually living with one!

24. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am not sure that I would use the tape library - how useful is it?

I didn't really want to spend that much and so might just go with the 830.

Is the picture quality likely to to be the same do you think?

25. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tape libraries are useful if you do lots of daily videoing on a few tapes and are useless at keeping tabs on what you recorded on which. Me and my wife are forever recording over stuff that we wanted to watch. I managed to convince her we needed a tape library after losing 2 nights of big brother, I took advantage of her emotional state and was allowed to increase the budget. A tape library goes someway to preventing this and can do things like telling you where there is space on a tape.

The panasonic can do up to 10 tapes (obviously you need a sticker on them stating which of the 1-10 they are). SOme tape libraries just show you channel date and time, some like thepanny allow text to be associated with the recording. Some tape library systems such as Hitachi's can prevent you from recording over a program you have yet to watch.

Some people rate them and some people dont (suspect the latter have the benefit of skyplus!! - but £40 (VCR)vs £300(Sky+) and a lifetime of a £10 sunscription is an easy choice for me).

I would have thought picture quality on the panasonics was the same. But getting a demo for a JVC 5955 was such hardwork I havent the energy to get a side by side comparison of the 825, 830 and JVC7955.

By the way 825 now £195 on Empire. Im hoping next month they will drop to bargain basement, as soon as they drop to £170 Im in there (unless of course the 880 is high spec and sub £200).

26. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Mmm, I am still not convinced I wuold use tape library much, just the simple indexing where it marks the beginning of a recording would probably be enough for me.

Plus the 50 quid saving, I think I am going to get an 830.

Hopefully this one will be nicer than the JVC, still got to try and get my refund on that yet!

27. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Didnt you get it from empire? If so do an exchange as empre are selling the 830 for 149 which is pretty good.

Comet stock the 830 in their larger stores if you want a peek at look and feel

28. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I did, I just ordered the 830 from them, although had to do it as a separate order they said.

So I end up paying two more lots of postage which is a pain but better than being stuck with the JVC.

29. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Let me know what you think re build quality and features as I will be forced to make a decision soon.

You might save me the expense of returned postage!:D

30. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Noticed that Electrical Discount site lists info on the Panasonic NVFJ780, NVHS880(no Tape Lib according to them) and the NVHS930.

Panasonic VCR Range

The Panansonic NVFJ780 takes my fancy to replace my elderly but nice Panasonic NV-F77 for archiving TIVO recordings.

[/Moan on]

As much as I like all my Panasonic/Technics AV equipment Why O why can't Panasonic UK get there act together and update there Web site with relevant product models information and how about Product PDF's to download if you are not going to bother with more than few lines of information on a product as well as updated technical documents to download and read, I am sure like many others downloading manuals to read before you buy something is very useful, I bet the Panasonic Japan site is updated daily, Come on Panasonic UK update your out of date site !!!!, Come to think of it even the Panasonic Europe site is pretty poor as well !!!

[/Moan off]

Scott