Help! Which -RW for my Tosh DR1

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BigRD, Jan 9, 2004.

1. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can anyone help me on which -RW and -R media to use in my new Tosh DR1. I bought a pack of Arita 2X (Ritek) -RW discs which fail to format after 37%.

Advice on -R media would also be appreciated.

I normally buy my discs from

here

2. helen B

helen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigRD,
    How is the D-R1 overall, Ive been waiting for a forum member like yourself to buy one as I havn't seen a member thoroughly use one to get a good idea of how good it is. Being fairly new to DVD stuff and not even owing a DVD player Ive held back on buying a recorder as I don't want to become another Panny-maniac!.
    Hope to get one soon to go with the Tosh 36zp38.
    Sorry I can't help with your disc problem.

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

I would suggest trying some Datasafe x2 DVD-RWs as these are by Princo so a different manufacturer. I have been using Princo x1 speed discs for over 18 months and not a single problem in a Pioneer 7000 DVD-RW recorder.

Alternatively go for a 1st tier manufacturer, such as Verbatim or Memorex from www.bigpockets.co.uk.

Ask the company you order from if they work with the Toshiba recorder, that way if they do not you can get your money back.

Regards

Philip

4. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Helen,

The DR-1 so far is good. The picture quality is great, great colours and very sharp, good contrast and brightness too. The opening scenes on LOTR TTT is excellent.

For recording I'm only using composite from Sky Digi at the moment until my Sky+ comes later this month then I'll use S-Video. The setup was a doddle switch it on and select it to auto setup and it did. Put in the supplied RAM cartridge and waited about 30 sconds while it loads and announces that the disc is not formated and that it needs to be done. So I did that from the quick menu option. recorded some stuff from Sky One and edited out the ads. Took a bit getting used to as I had to eventually give in and read the instructions :D no probs now. Videoplus works exactly the same as my Panny VCR. Timeslip, chase play is excellent.

The menus are fine to navigate round it's just that I was used to mucking about with my parents Panny E50

I had bought a Datasafe 9.4Gb disc and it works a treat, I'm recording Auf Weidersein Pet at the mo and will chase play on it shortly :smoke:

I've still to try a -R and a -RW yet though.

PhilipL,

I'll take your advice with regards ordering. According to the blankdiscshop web site the Datasafe discs use the Ritek dye and that the Datawrite discs use Princo. I had used the Datawrite Princo in my old +R/+RW PC drive without a hitch. Serves me right for buying el cheapos so will send them back to blankdiscshop.co.uk and buy the Princo type. Where do you buy yours 1X from?

Thnx folks

5. helen B

helen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigRD,
    Sounds a good buy and your enjoying getting used to it. Is it connected up via Component and prog-scann?. How does it compare to your parents Panny E50 for picture quality etc?.
    When you fully get to grips with the DR-1 could you put it on a thread as Im sure there are plenty of other members interested in the DR-1 as it sounds on paper such a good machine.
    Many thanks.
    Helenb

6. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Helen,

It's connected up via component to my Tosh PF2. I watched K-19 last night in Prog Scan and the PQ is excellent. How much better than RGB is hard to say though it's a close thing. It's highly unlikely I'd be able to put 2 PF2s with 2 DR-1s side by side one in PS and one in RGB for comparison :devil: maybe ask the local Comet. I can hear them now :rotfl:

The PQ with my parents set up is hard to tell as their using a 7yo philips 100Hz tv which normally has a good pic but my new PF2 is better. I've played a recording done on the Panny but it was recorded in composite and is acceptable. I also think the Panny is quicker at loading a RAM disc. No Prog Scan,No component out, No firewire, No -RW and only £50 less then the DR1 so the Tosh won. I know the DR1 doesn't input RGB but the PQ on Sky can be dubious at times anyway so it's not that big a deal. Output on retail discs is the most important thing for me. The fact this machine could record was just a huge bonus.

I bought mine from Digitaldirectuk for £299.98 but later found out I could have got MR for another £30. Not a great problem as I only have 2 R1 discs which I can convert on my PC to R0