1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help....which Printer and scanner are best !!!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Whisper, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a new ink-jet printer and scanner and can't decide which is best. The printer must be able to print onto blank discs and of course picture quality is parmount. I've seen the Epson R200, R300, R800 and all have great reviews but ink usage seems to be the main caveat with these . Canon also have some good reviews such as the bubble jet i965 and their new Pixma models look good too but I've yet to read many reviews about them. I would settle for the Pixma ip5000 along with the canon 8400f scanner but can't decide :rolleyes: Any help would be gratefully received and stop me dithering about :lease: .

2. Razieluk

Razieluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Christoper

Although the scanner unit of my Epson CX5400 (it'a an all in one printer, scanner and photocopier unit) is excellent I wouldn't recommend it because the printer side seems to drink ink like I drink whiskey.

On the printer side (especially for photos) I use a Canon i865 of which the i965 is the next one up and I can wholeheartedly recommend this!! Get one today. Come on. What are you waiting for?

Raziel

3. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Raziel,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did think the Canon 965 was an excellent printer and spent months(ok, weeks :smoke: ) comparing it to the Epsons and read all the reviews I could find, downloaded all the PDFs on ALL the printers (thanks to a very user friendly Canon website) and still I can't make the final decision. If you had said go for the Pixma I would have been on the Pixmania.com website quicker than a rampant bull let loose at Cows week :zonked: . The slight problem I have with the Canon i965 is that compared to the Pixma it is older technology....but is this reason enough to buy the ip5000 ?

4. Jim100

Jim100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Christopher,

What did you buy in the end?

I am also in the market for a printer now having owned a digital camera for a couple of months.

the latest edition of PC Pro has carried out a comprehensive Printer/ Ink review and the Canon Pix range and Epson R800 seem to do very well (notwithstanding ink usage and costs) :(

5. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the R300 and think it's fab. 6 separate inks, CD/DVD printing and borderless. for less than £100 I think it's the best on the market at the moment.

Don't go for the version with the screen on it though, it's a waste of £40.

Collin

6. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Jim100,

Go for a Canon ip4000 you will not be disappointed the quality of photo and CD/DVD printing is first class.

7. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    I second that, I've got a Pixma and its excellent - superb printing, fast, quiet, economical....also I've just discovered the joys of printing straight onto dvds:D

8. Jim100

Jim100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the speedy advice.

Time to check out prices I reckon. :smashin:

9. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Another thumbs up for the R300 here.
    Always used Epson paper and find the print quality is fantastic.
    Best printer I have ever owned and no big issues with ink usage as yet.
    Rob

PS :thumbsdow Wife bought mine for me from Comet and the salesgirl tried to talk her into buying a complete replacement set of inks (6) at the time of purchase, stating that the printer only came with "trial size" cartridge's.
    Either a blatant sales blag or they are making trial size cartridges last as long as normal ones, 'cos the supplied ones have lasted ages.

10. pgayler

pgayler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased my first digital camera (Canon 300D) and have been looking for a printer the R300 does seem to come out with flying reviews, but how good is it really, should i expect the prints to look as good as 35mm prints (7x5 and 8x6), from a high street developer or do i need to spend a lot more than the £80ish price of the R300.

11. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The R300 is absolutely good enough. Make sure you use the right paper though. I get good results from Ilford Gallerie and the Epson Photo Glossy.

You can spend more than £80 if you want but I really don't see the point.

Let me qualify that. As a digital camera user you get to choose which photos you want to print. You go out for a day and shoot 200 photos (yes, It happens - I do it regularly!). Obviously some of those will be duffers. But. You might get 50 that you want to print. Compare the cost of printing 50 photos yourself and going to (for example!) Jessops and getting 50 for a fiver at 6 x 4.

Printing the odd one or two at 8x6 or even A4 will save you a load and the quality difference between the R300 and lab prints is unnoticeable to the untrained eye.

HTH

Collin

12. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    R300 with Epson high quality glossy paper is excellent. Get a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 and you can get some great effects. Ink is a bit pricey, but with individual cartridges you can change one at a time.

13. pgayler

pgayler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, looks like i will go for the R300. There seems quite a few versions of epson paper is the 'Premium Glossy Photo Paper' the best epson paper to get ?

14. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I had tried different makes of paper in my R300 and was never totally happy with the results.
    A friend at work who prints a lot more than me confirmed what the manufacturers say, that is, to use their own papers.
    I started using Epson paper and immediately noticed a huge difference. My reults are now as good as I would expect from a processing lab.
    I always considered that using the manufacturers papers would be very, very expensive but I order my paper direct from the Epson UK website and taking into account that their prices include next day recorded delivery I am very impressed.
    I use their "premium glossy paper" but I suppose it depends which effect you are trying to achieve.

www.epson.co.uk

Rob

15. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out the Epson RX600 photo printer/scanner all in one - not sure if it prints direct to CD though??

Gary

16. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    After years of using the Epson 1270 I switched over to the R300, the results? astounding using Epson Premium Gloss paper.....around £18.00 for 50 sheets A4 from Photoglossy.com, free postage.

I've been trying different inks as a replacement for non critical work and the best I've come across was the Inkrite brand (£2.30 per cart from Ebuyer)

I got the one with the screen and agree, it's been a waste of money for me....never used it.

17. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    If its that good what is the point of the R800??

Matt

18. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Like many who have posted here, I dare say we can only pass on equipment we have used, and not add supposition to the thread request.

Perhaps you could enlighten us yourself?

19. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Jeez you lot on this photographic forum bit are a bit touchy :rolleyes:

It is a question from someone who wishes to buy a printer and needs to know why the R300 is 'good enough' in comparison to other R series. Is that not valid? :smashin:

20. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Blimey Matt, this is the first post I've done in this section :)

I'm sure the R800 is a better printer, but unfortunately never had the opportunity to see any results from it, so couldn't offer an opinion (for what that's worth :D )and as sure as hell there will probably be better printers than that out there.

Anyway, if I came across as touchy, accept my apologies and if your ever in this neck of the woods, I'll treat you to some Scots hospitality......no, I don't mean Haggis. :D

21. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    :rotfl: Sorry, I had the Mrs bendin me earole most of last night( what ya doin, why ya doin it, you gonna do some ironing etc etc) so I guess I was a bit 'touchy' :blush: In fact yesterday was my 1st venture into this part of the forum with me much criticised Shuttle pictures :cool:

I recently got a slide scanner and have been using like a new toy so as soon as I saw me 'shuttle' where better to post than this part of the AVforums.

Regards

Matt

Oh........ Haggis..... (sound of throwing up)
    I cant even manage the wobbly bits on chicken and turkey so a sheeps stomach might result in the contents of me own being on display :laugh:

22. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    LOL, I hate that Haggis stuff too, Matt. :eek:

What swayed the Epson R300for me was the fact that Inkrite made inks for my old 1270 and found them to be very good, and the CD/DVD print facility.....I always made a pig's ear of those Pressit labels........I wont ask if anyone's tried the Pigs ear delicacy after bringing up Haggis, so to speak. :D

Cheers

William

23. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that reminds me, the first time i used my pressit labeller, i put the label on the recording side :oops: :thumbsdow :D made a right mess trying to get it off :laugh:

Gary

24. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could really do with a new printer myself.

Is it really cheaper printing photos yourself from a digital camera ? I mean after you take the costs of the ink and photo paper into account does it work out cheaper ?
    I'm thinking 7x5 prints and wondering which way to go.

My current printer is an old hewlett packard deskjet 930c which was very good for its time but i'm wondering if the technology has moved on and i will notice a big difference with the current generation of printers out there ? what resolutions are we talking about and do pictures still fade or do they last as long as commercially developed pictures ?

Reading many reviews i kinda like the Canon models which i have read can print pictures which last a long time and have fine detail but its interesting the views on the Epson models.

Advice would be welcome.

25. trolly

trolly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bought a Epson R200 from Scan last week when it was on Today Only for £72.
    It was £69.99 from Comet online but for the extra £2 preferred to pick it up.
    Scan do Compatible Cartridges for the R200/R200 @ £1.80 Per Cartridge.
    R200/R300 have 6 so a full set of cartridges costs £10.80
    They also do Fuji Premium Printer paper Gloss 40 pack for £7.65.
    Not tried the Fuji paper in it but just on Tesco's cheapest glossy photo paper the results are very impressive.
    I've not used the new cartridges since the Epson one's that came with the printer are still half full.
    A mate has the Epson C66 and uses the Printwork Compatible cartridges from Scan.
    Printing to DVD's is an excellent feature. I'll only be buying Printable media from now on!

Previously was using a HP5150, never had any other make of printer than HP, now donated to my sister.
    Gone are the £35 quid cartridge costs. (That was from Amazon the cheapest place I could find the HP cartridges)
    Which only had the 2 so if any colour ran out you had to junk the whole cartridge.

Love the Epson so far..... Still early days....

Definately worth a look. Give the R300 a miss unless you really want to print directly from your camera.

26. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Appologise for hijacking this thread but....

Looking at online prices for the R300 printer (seems to be a couple arround the £75 mark) but a number of retailers have the R300M advertised which was in the region of £150 from retailers which are typically very cheap.

The epson doesnt mention anything about a variant on the R300 but you can never trust these manufactures to know their own products. Does anyone know about the different model number or is this another case of retailers misquoting model numbers to avoid appearing to be overcharging?

Cheers

27. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    There are two versions of the R300, one with an LCD screen(R300M) and one without!
    You can buy the standard R300 and buy the LCD screen as an "extra" at a later date if you really feel that you can't live without it but I think it works out a tad more expensive if you do it this way.
    The LCD screen obviously allows you to edit, crop etc. without the need for a PC but I would much rather see my images on my PC monitor to be honest so wouldn't bother.
    HTH
    Rob

28. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Many thanks Rob - whilst I dont use my PC much anymore (it is somewhat quaint and ill suited for games, no longer need a server which it was set up to be and have a work laptop for whenever I want MS Office or online access) but think I may dust it off and start using it once she who must be obeyed gets her new camera.

Certainly dont think it is worth twice the price for the printer for a mini lcd screen