1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Which Plasma??????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by smoakes, Dec 31, 2004.

1. smoakes

smoakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've been reading some comments on the site and you guys obviously know what you're on about so I'd really value any opinions on which of the following you would recommend...

LG RZ-42PX11
    Samsung PS42V4SX
    Philips 42107FP4
    NEC 42VP4D

They're all around the £1400 mark so the price difference is minimal, it's just a matter of picking which one, HELP!!!

Thanks in advance

2. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Best advice with plasmas is to go out and demo each set with your own eyes. Never make a blind purchase using recommendations from people on here, they're all too biased! ;)

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I have to agree with geeWcee.

Everyone will probably tell you to buy the screen that they have (or want to get) because it's the one that they decided was best.

Let the people here guide you in terms of reliability, features and stats, but this is only useful in helping you build a shortlist of things you must see for yourself.

The best one for you is the one which looks best to your eyes. Also, have a read of some of the threads about high definition and Sky and decide whether this is an issue for you or not.

Having said that, I am going to put my tin hat on and retire to a safe distance. :devil:

4. smoakes

smoakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks GeeWcee, I've seen the LG and Samsung, I expect there all very similar. Just thought people who use them everyday might be able to add some info that seeing a display model doesn't give?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I could not agree more suggest you try contacting NEC for a list of local stockists who could demo the VP4 suggest you ring them before you travel

6. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Point taken. 'Theo cupier' does make a good point - If you want to keep the set for a long time and are interested in Sky HD, then you really need to do your research on which of the models you have chosen to look at will support it. Apart from that, you still need to demo Philips and NEC before making your choice if Sky HD isnt your bag.

7. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Speaking from experience with the LG, there are settings that you can change to improve the performance compared to how they ship. See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1332603&postcount=661.

A display model may have been tweaked slightly, but IMHO, it probably is still likely to be lacking to what can be achieved at home.

But then you could probably say the same for the other screens, I just don't have the experience with which to make such a statement.

8. smoakes

smoakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the comments, just on the HDTV issue.

I've only read a couple of threads briefly so I might be completely wrong. If the screen has a DVI input will it be ok to work with Skys HD service, obviously not getting the best from the service but it would be ok?

The price jump to a HD screen is a bit out of reach!

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for Sky HD screen needs a DVI-D or HDMI input that is HDCP compliant and accpets HD res at 50 Hz very very few do Pio FDE/XDE and a few others do.......

10. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you're talking about the NEC, no, the 42VP4 is NOT compatible with what Sky recently announced, since its DVi input is not HDCP compliant.

You probably know this, anyway new SD plasma models from NEC have been out recently, the 42VR5 (do a search on this forum or google, you'll find lots of info). The main difference with the VP4 is that it's now HDCP compliant. Next you'll need to find out if it does support 50Hz HDTV video signals 720p50 and 1080i50 (which the 42XM3 (1024x768 model) does, not sure about the VR5 though).

Otherwise the LG PX11 does support HDCP and 50Hz HDTV, however I strongly suggest you demo it before any decision, you might not enjoy its pic quality esp. when compared to NEC or Panny... In that respect the 42PY10 might be a better choice, still fully HDTV compatible, higher resol. screen (1024x768), nicer design, and better pic quality than PX11/PX10 imo.

11. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    As a general rule, no. The DVI input must support HDCP, as well as 720p and 1080i at 50hz refresh rate to be compatible with what Sky has announced.

Most DVI ports do not adhere to the above for one reason or another. Out of the list you posted, the only one that is known to have a 'fully functioning' DVI input is the LG. It should be OK for Sky HD, as far as anyone can say.

For any of the other screens listed that have DVI, I don't believe any have been definitely ruled out, but I've not seen any reports of them having the support either.

12. smoakes

smoakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy new year!
    With a bad head I've set myself the task of ordering a plasma today, there's so much to cover I'll never get one if I don't make a decision soon.

I appreciate your comments on seeing all the sets and to be honest I simply won’t get a chance! More research has reduced the list to an LG or one of two Panasonics…

LG RZ-42PX11 @ £1350
    Panasonic – TH42PWD6BX with scart board @ £1450
    Panasonic - TH42PW7 with scart board @ £1550

Use will be mainly Sky+, DVD and occasional games consoles.

A selection, bias or otherwise as to the best option would be greatly appreciated.

13. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I cannot comment on the Panny PW7, but I do have both Panny PW6 and LG. The difference I found was PW6 (I bought this 6 months prior to LG), very good straight from new with component & scart boards.

The LG had between average and not very good picture when first installed - I wanted to return it but came across this forum and made all changes suggested - after week or so the picture had improved so dramatically it put the Panny to shame (in my opinion).

Have now tried swapping units around (different rooms) several times to make sure it's not cables sources etc.

My brother bought PW6 (on my advice) just after me. He was extremely happy - the same as me, until he saw the LG. He now wants to get rid of Panny and buy LG.

Now two of us and our respective families prefer the picture and look of the LG. This does not however mean that you or others will.
    I can only suggest you look and decide for yourself. We only know what we like and what is pleasing to our eyes. We do not know anything about quality of components inside the units or whether one or other or both of the screens are likely to be useless a few years down the line.

It's a personal decision with a lot of money being spent. I am quite sure you will be happy (whether it be immediately or a week or so after your purchase) whatever one you chose.

Dave

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    interesting have you spent as much time and effort putting the panny picture right? as out of the box it is pretty ropey IMO and if you have had it for 6-12 moths in dynamic mode out of the box i am afraid to say you may well have ruined the panel.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  16. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh no, I had someone come to professionally calibrate it from the beginning, I thought it was worth the extra money after spending a fortune on the screen. I have never been unhappy with Panny screen, until I got LG I would have considered it excellent. But now when I compare the two, the LG is more three dimentional, vivid and more lifelike, it's just more pleasant to watch (in my opinion). I would still recommend my Panny as an excellent screen, the only thing I don't like is that it's about £1000 cheaper now than when I got it!

17. smoakes

smoakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi absthechatter
    I was leaning towards the LG due to a combination of price, look, inputs etc. You obviously know about the screen, I’d be really grateful if you could give me any advice on the setup, settings, do’s, don’ts etc.
    Thanks in advance mate

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Who calibrated it? was done out of the box? if so the PQ would be lifeless and dull by now........... may be worth getting it done again... where are you as i would love to see the 2 screens

19. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Horny Dragon

East Sussex. Near to Brighton in the UK.

Ahhhhhh...... I've just worked out what the quote button does!!!

20. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My knowledge is very limited. I have relied on others and just copied what they have said. The biggest change came from changing the screen setting to PC from AV in the service menu. I do not know what this does or how it affects various things - but it got rid of solarisation and made my picture good!!!

Others do not like LG - they say the insides are not so good. They could be completely right and the screen may go downhill as fast as it improved!!

I would certainly not buy on my experiences (which have been excellent for the LG) - Look for yourself and listen to the experts.

The Panny had good picture from the start, the LG did not. I have no idea why this is and why the LG improves over a week or two. Perhaps someone who knows about the insides has an explanation and may know whether it is likely to go the other way just as quickly??

21. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Do you think it's worth trying something like AVIA or DVE (hope I've got that right) as I must admit, I have not touched it since it was originally done. Or is it best getting someone in to calibrate.

Can't remember name of bloke that did it last time. It was on recommendation of Richer Sounds in Brighton.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a long way from me but if i find myself down your way i may look you up again mate......