1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Which Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PlasmaVirgin, Dec 2, 2004.

1. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    OK guys, I need some help. I'm the proud owner of a Toshiba 36" picture frame CRT. It's only 2 years old and I'm chuffed as punch with the picture quality - however...

I have always fancied getting a plasma (the chimney breast in my new house is just crying out for one), and it seems that you get a lot more for your money now, so I want to take the plunge. I've been looking for a couple of weeks, and avidly reading the comments of you wisened experts on this forum. I had pretty much narrowed it down to the Panny PW7 which at 1600 quid from AVSales is fantastic. However, I went into a local store and was gobsmacked by the beauty of the Piopneer PDP-435. I asked the guy all sorts of questions about the Panny, but he ignored it, and clearly was trying to push the Pioneer on me, as he said it P*****d all over the Panny, especially in terms of features. I also noticed it was £1000 more!! Bit of bias maybe? I'm also concerned that the PDP-435 isn't getting very good reviews, and might suffer from a noisy picture? For what it's worth, half of my viewing is Sky+ and I also watch a few good DVD's a week in the dark with a Sony DAVS-880 surround sound setup (component cables).

What I want is some unbiased views in a straight comparison between the Panny and the Pio. When I go to shops that mainly sell Pannies they tell me they're the best, just like the other shops try to sell me the more expensive (Pioneer) kit. With the crummy inputs used, and the different positions in shops, it's difficult to compare next to each other.

I'm very confused, and have a budget of between £2k and £3k, and although the Panny has the price advantage, the Pioneer seems to have the looks, and connectivity and a bit more futureproofing. I am going to have to channel out part of my lounge wall so that I can hide the cables, and I think I'm right in saying that the Pio would need less cables run to it, thanks to the media box. If the Panny is a much better picture, would I then need to spend a small fortune, on extra cables, boxes, etc, so that I don't have a motorway of cables running up my lounge wall? Is it worth getting a SD Panny now, and changing for a HD plasma in 2 years when HDTV is more widespread?

On top of this, the Hitachi has hit the shops with rave reviews, and some people are telling me to compare the Sonys with the Pioneer at a similar price. Aaaagh, so many questions - please help!!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you want unbiased reviews, then you should find a shop that does demos and do your own comparisons. Because everyone here will tell you that their TV is the best ! After all, we couldn't have made a bad decision, could we ? :)

3. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Which panny were you referring to? the PW7? if so then thats an SD panel and the pioneer is a HD panel. Which will explain the £1000 difference. i.e. your not comparing like for like.

The panny HD 7 series panel is around the £2500 mark

4. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Too true! It seems that unbiased views are hard to come by. My problem is that the Pioneer and Pannies in local shops are at the other end of the showroom to each other, and pretty difficult to compare, as the quality seems close. Was hoping that some guys on here from other parts of the UK had done all this ground work, and made a decision accordingly. Also, hoping that someone would raise some points which I hadn't considered...

5. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Know where you're coming from Leigh. I suppose that's part of the equation. I'd set my mind on HDTV, but it seems that it won't really be supported for a couple of years, so will I get my money's worth? I assumed that the higher the resolution, the better and hence the more cash, but some people are saying that especially with Sky+, HD might look more grainy.

If the PDP-435 also has a media box for the grand extra, can I buy a better solution to add to the Panny for less money? I'm getting more confused by the minute!

6. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ive been looking at getting a plasma for a while now, and have pinned it down to the 435XDE or the panny PHD7, so like for like. IF you add the input cards to the panny to match the Pio, (as good as you can) then the price is pretty much the same for both (you can get the pio for around £2800 if you shop around) so its down to your eye at the end of the day.

Each has it plus's and minus like problems with some of the resolutions on the input cards for the panny etc, and the pio is supposeldy more susceptible to screen burn. So you pay your money and takes your choice.

7. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hmm - food for thought. Which input cards would you recommend getting for the Panasonic? What hasn't helped me is that quite a few people are saying they prefer the Pioneer 434 to the 435. Thought this was sour grapes cos a newer model had come out, but it appears that some have even changed their 435s back to a 434. Why??!! Surely Pioneer wouldn't have gone backwards?

8. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The press slated the 435, the general view on here is that there reviews are rubbish and the main reason it got slated was due to the fact that it wasnt a 'big' improvement over the 434.

As for input cards for the panny, it all depends on what you want to connect up.

9. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    That's pretty interesting, Leigh. So perhaps the reviewers are being stingy with their marks because they were expecting a world beater and didn't quite get it.

I've just been down to my local Panasonic/Sony centre which are the only major stockists of plasma in my area. They've had a PWD7 sitting in a box since Monday morning which I told them (on Monday) I was interested in and asked them to set up for me to compare alongside the Pioneer. Useless bloke said that he didn't know when they were going to open it, and it would be better to come back some time next week! I asked for some details on the Pioneer, such as which model is on display and what was plugged into it, and he said he really couldn't tell me, as the only guy who's clued up on plasma won't be back in until next week. I'd have told him to stick it and gone elsewher, but apart from Curry's down the road (who are useless), there's no one else for 50 miles!

Guess I'd just better go back next week, and hope they've bothered to open the Panny!

10. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Check out the forum sponsors and see if one of them is near you :)

11. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Pio 435 XDE and think its fantastic. Just feed it a good dignal - even SKY + through a decent rgb scart lead, and watch in amazement for yourself!