1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help which plasma to buy for £2500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steeleez, Sep 4, 2005.

1. steeleez

steeleez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a plasma to replace my sony kv-36hq100 so I can wall mount it and have £2500 to spend, what is the best one to go for and what leads, bracket etc would I need. Also if anyone is interested in buying my 2 year old sony please email me.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Gary

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Need more info from you and requirements, like... what existing equipment are you going to be connecting up, is High Definition important to etc.
    And is the £2500 flexible or is that your top whack?

3. steeleez

steeleez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the reply, it will be connected to a sky+ box and a dvd player which I also require. I would prefer it to be HD ready and £2500 would be my ideal price, however I could stretch a bit further.

Gary

4. explorer

explorer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that you would be happy with the Pioneer pdp 435, you may be able to get the xde if you shop around, I found that Richer sounds was the cheapest when I bought the Pioneer (not the xde), I bought the non digital one and paid£2200 for it when savedat least £300 on the price.
    I am very happy with the pic when it has a decent feed, it does however highlight poor quality broadcast as all screens of this size will, it is also HD ready, with hdmi and component inputs!
    Good luck. :hiya:

5. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also look at the Panny PV500, great with Sky IMHO

6. steeleez

steeleez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Whats the PHD8?

The 2 on my short list so far are the panny pv500 and the pioneer pdp436xde, however its extra money on the pio for speakers and the wall bracket whereas I can get the panny complete for approx £2300.

7. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think Ive swung back towards the Pv500 as I dont think the 436XDE will be that massive an increase in picture quality. Also read in the 436XDE manual that due to less glass being used, that the TV may incur more noise. So thats definitely something to look out for. Will of course compare the two of them just in case the 436 is something to behold.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    The PHD8 is the panel version of the PV500, it has a small neat bezel and no speakers, but there is less processing going on giving a far superior image.

You would need to buy a system for the sound, one from sony, panasonic, pioneer would do, and amp and dvd all in one with 5 small speakers and a sub would give you far better results than the speakers built in to a TV.

The Pioneer 436 is lookinggood from the reports coming out, excellent with hd and hdmi connected DVD player, but still not brilliant with freeview and sky. A couple of people whos view I trust have said that the Pansonic panels are still the better choice over the 436, but the 436 is a very good all in one solution.

9. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If the 436 is indeed poor with Sky that would definitely be the deal breaker for me and I would stick with waiting for my Pv500, just wish Panasonic would get their finger out and get stock out!!

10. steeleez

steeleez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have got a sony dav-s800 dvd system at the minute but gets on my nerves because it won't play all discs I try. Is the phd8 worth considering and me keeping the sony system? If so is it available and at what cost ?

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Problem with the dav-s800 is theh connections, going into a plasma you really want component, your system only has S video.
    With the PHD8 you get a vga input as standard that accepts rgb or component, you would need to get a dual input board too, that gives you component, s, and somposite and you may find most people are doing bundles with this card and a wall bracket or desktop stand.

Try www.av-sales.com for an idea on pricing.