1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Which Panny? Viera vs PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rodge, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Rodge

Rodge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to all things plasma... and confused. Went to a retailer who convinced me that the Hitachi 42PD5300 was the way to go. Did some research (reviews are hard to find!). Found this forum and have read some fine posts. Due to the reviews I've read here I'm going to go with a panny. It seems that the TH42PW6BS is the popular choice but then theres the TH42PE30B. I've read the tech specs on both screen and they appear to read the same to me. Is the technology (in terms of picture display) on both the same? Why would I buy the 'older' model when the Viera is now out? Can anyone help me? (I'll be using the display with DVD, ntl box and PS2). Thanks.

2. sargetheboss

sargetheboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  3. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    the pany pe30 is a complete replacment for crt good pic good sound sd/mmc slot for photo viewing .has built in freview .so as soon this plasma comes out of the box it is easy as 1 2 3 to set up but the downside its not so future proof hdtv or pc friendly where as the pw6 is but the pw6 needs a tuner(sky ntl etc) speakers before you can watch it . it depends on you if you want a screen or a tv

if you want a screen to be futerproof and to upgrade etc go for the pw6

if you want a tv out the box and working no messing with then go for pe30 :rolleyes:

i bought pe30 and run xbox sky plus scht870 no fus no messin just watchin

4. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And as youve spotted the PE30 and PW6 are the same technology in display terms, ie they're fantastic screens.

The pe30 is arguably easier and family friendly than a PW6 , its a great screen.

The Pw6 can provide more opportunities for the purist since it's 'inputs' are more configurable and 'native'.

You will read about 'progressive Scan' - the Viera and PW6 have excellent in-built de-interlacers which means that you wont see much difference (many cant see any at all ) between a progressive Scan DVD player vs a non-progressive scan DVD player.

If you just want a tv replacement and a great looking plasma that is very high quality then go forthe viera. PE30.

If you have family/other users who are gonna be able to use the seperate amplifier, put up with multiple remote controls,and you want to push the plasma and will invest in £200 cables, £150 vga converters , etc - then get hte PW6.