Help! Which gaming Laptop??

Cam1177

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Got myself into a bit a quandary over which laptop to buy. Put simply the choices are:

Brand new ACER Nitro 17.3 120 Hz
Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB

Can be purchased for around £900 but reckon on another £150 for RAM and Drive purchases.

or

MSI GT73VR 7RF-626XNL
Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK Processor
RAM: 32 GB / Storage: 512 GB SSD, 1TB HD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 8 GB

Can be purchased for around £1000. Several years old top end but never used.

From gaming friends, I have 1 vote for each and 1 undecided lol. Help!!

Performance between the 2 will be similar but I'd go for the Acer. You're getting 6 cores and 12 threads compared to 4/8 which will make a difference for gaming within the next couple of years.

I have the MSI 1070 version of the lower option. Its been solid with no issues what so ever.
The only laptop to never fudge up for me

Thanks all. Yes i've heard a lot of good things about MSI and the top models do look the biz. That said that the 4/8 to 6/12 has also been mentioned, and I've seen some comments about 4 cores on some current games becoming an issue, despite the awesome gpu that it has. Will sleep on it tonight.

Thanks all. Yes i've heard a lot of good things about MSI and the top models do look the biz. That said that the 4/8 to 6/12 has also been mentioned, and I've seen some comments about 4 cores on some current games becoming an issue, despite the awesome gpu that it has. Will sleep on it tonight.
I would agree with this. 4/8 is now pretty much the minimum, so I think 6/12 will give you a bit more longevity - or at least possibly added resale value down the line.

If you're planning to spend about a grand and then upgrade, there's part of me that would suggest spending a bit more on something like these with a latest 10th gen CPU that come with presumably the extra RAM and disk you're looking at (particularly the HP Omen):

Also the laptop GPU's are always slower than there desktop versions, lower end GPU's less so than higher end. So a laptop RTX 2060 6 GB is around 15-20% slower than a desktop version and a laptop 2080 is around 40% slower than a desktop version, really makes paying for high end laptop GPU's a bad value proposal.

So in this case a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB laptop = GTX 1660 Ti in a desktop.

Worth understanding if you have specific performance for certain games in mind.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom