Question HELP!!! Which direction should I go......

rubytoody1968

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good evening everyone......let me tell you a little story......I have always loved researching things before I buy....my partner would say a little too much, and on this occasion I am starting to agree with her.....

I love my music.....I love my vinyl.....got the Project turntable, amp, Tannoy stand mounts......

Recently moved into a new property and have a spare bedroom so am 'allowed' my own 'den'......

The current TV is a LG 46" LED bought about 3 years ago, which a few months ago started to have a large black line appear across the top of the screen....no extended warranty so knew a new TV would be my next purchase, and that's where the dilemma has started......

My initial 'want' was a 65" screen just because.....but then I started to look around and quality of screen, picture etc came into the equation.....so here are the main facts......

1) I want to spend between £600 and £1000
2) I will be sat approx 5/6ft away from the TV
3) I ditched SKY a few months ago due to price etc and so will need Freeview
4) not too bothered about the speakers on the TV as I will be buying a new AV amp and will be hooking up the Tannoys and buying a Sub and Surrounds

......now for the options/questions.......

A) do I plump for a Hisense 65" 4K from RS with 6 year warranty, or
B) do I go for a 50" Sony Android 1080p with free Youview, Spotify etc from John Lewis/RS with warranty, or
C) do I go for a 55" Panasonic 1080p from currys with no extra warranty, or
D) do I go for a 50" 4K tv (brand??)

......so basically do I sacrifice Quality and get a bigger size or do I plump for a slightly bigger TV than the one I have at the minute in order to get the quality of screen and features?????

OMG what do I do.........

Since you wanted a big screen have you considered a projector instead? It's hard to decide for that budget whether to go 65 inch or not.

You can get some ok 65 inch 1080p TV's from last year but mainly from places without extended warranty.

For 1k I would buy a refurb LG 1080p OLED or if you can stretch too this.

Disadvantage would be smaller screen, but the difference in PQ compared to a 65 inch budget model would be worth it in my opinion.

At that price range there's little to no point going for HDR TV's since you need to spend a lot more to get good performance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom