1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - Which Cordless Drill?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by unbreakable, Jun 4, 2005.

1. unbreakable

unbreakable
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

After searching on the net and visiting my local B&Q, I saw that there were many brands, Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Black & Decker, Ryobi, P Pro..etc.

I was recommended Dewalt or Makita, buy a builder, but they are too expensive.

I am after a 18v, I was hoping some experianced people here might be able to shed some light as to which drill is good.

I have narrowed my search down to Ryobi 18v 89 pounds, Black and Decker, which is 94 pounds and a Bosch PSB24 (discontinued), which is 99 pounds or the 18v version which is the same money. All come with 2 batteries and additional features.

A sales guy at B&Q said buy the Ryobi as its better than the Black and decker and bosch, but I've never heard of them.

Can anyone help?

Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

ps. you can see them on B&Q's website. the B&D is the top or the range one they have, so is the bosch. The ryobi is middle'ish.

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Dewalt are the best IMO and well worth the extra cash (they are the professional version of black and decker :lesson: :)) I own a couple of cheaper ones as well as a dewalt and there really is no comparison but then it did cost far more. The wickes pro range are meant to have a good reputation. Black & decker and Bosch are both very reliable in my experience.

3. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi Saffron,

I've no experience of the particular tools but I've always found Bosch machines to be good. I avoid B&D like the plague after a number of bad experiences in my 'junior' DIY days. People tell me they've improved recently but once bitten ... etc.

Never used any Ryobi products but I've seen them in B&Q and they look well made. If it were me I'd plump for the PSB24, but hopefully someone with direct experience of one or more of these will be along soon :).

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Well assuming you are a casual DIY'er rather than trade then you can't beat the range on QVC in my book. They don't have the 'label' but are excellent value for money. 30 day no hassle money back guarantee as well.

I have the 21v model of this 18v http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset.asp?dept=ukHG for £20 you can't go wrong. The 21V is excellent.

Or if you want an 18v with a bit more extras http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset.asp?dept=ukHG

You will not be disappointed!

I do alot of woodwork DIY...decking, sheds etc and these are excellent tools. Only one hour charge time from scratch.

For the money you are talking about you could always get this
    http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset.asp?dept=ukHG

but whats the point of spending that money unless you have some serious serious work!

If your not convinced..tune into the DIY hour on QVC at 10am tomorrow morning! Excellent sunday morning viewing! :D Much better viewing than those clowns McCaffrey and Kamara :suicide:

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,018
    Get 2 batteries so one can be charging whilst the other is in use

7. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Makita.Very well made.A little pricey though.

8. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    it all depends on how much you're going to use it. A tradesman needs a machine which is rugged and will take alot of heavy use. otherwise just stick with one of the cheap brands. I use a Champion which suits my needs fine but then I only use about once a month.

9. unbreakable

unbreakable
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Well I got home yesterday and my Father had already bought the Ryobi 18v CDI - 1801 for 89 pounds, it came with two batteries, two' two faced bits, it has a fancy level on the back of the drill and a removable spirit level, the base has a built in magnet to which u can convieniantly stick a few screws.

Its good, looks well built, the B&D looked like a toy compared to this.

Oh and it comes with two years warranty from B&Q.

*fingers crossed*

Hopefully like the corded Bosch and Circular Saw we have had for over 16 years (yes 16 and they still work fine), this will last us a long time.

Thanks alot people. :smashin:

Jas.

ps. I have a money back (28 day) guarantee, so if I am not happy, I shall return it for the Bosch.

10. Brolac

Brolac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 18V Dewalt,it's expensive,rugged and reliable.

Just like me :D