1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help which amp!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by oggy, Mar 4, 2002.

1. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am looking for some advice on an amplifier to enhance my current home cinema equipment.I would like to be able to hear DTS sound from my system which comprises of Toshiba 32zp18p TV,Toshiba sd200e DVD, Panasonic sky box,Toshiba video which I forget what the model is but it's about 5 years old.At the moment I am using the tv speakers, 4 of, but have 2 Ruark floor standers connected up to my existing amp (Myrayd T40) with a Marantz ose cd player,I realise I will have to change my amp for something compatible mid to low price range if possible !! for digital sound.The question which amp ,cables, speakers toshlink etc etc .In anticipation of your replies CHEERS.:blush:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

Current amp/receiver flavours of the month are

Denon 1802, 2802, 3802

Marantz 4200,5200 etc

Yamaha AX series

Also worth checking out are the Harmon Kardon range
    AVR4000 etc

For speakers, why not stick to Ruark, I dont know them myself but they should have a centre & rears to match your fronts.

For Speaker cables, QED, The Chord Company, do some excellent cables. Personally I would use a Coaxial cable from the dvd player to the amp/receiver.

www.chord.co.uk

cheers

3. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oggy, what buget have you got:confused:

This will help us in helping you;)

Taz.:cool:

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    oggy i'll probabally get a roasting from others for saying this but,it is not -imo- worth buying an amp just to get DTS.It is not worth it as you already have access to DD. I challenge you to do a blind test and see if you can tell the difference.In *most* cases i bet you can't.If you wish to upgrade to an amp then by all means go down that road but i wouldn't just to get dts. :)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would have to agree with Lynx that buying an amp just to hear DTS is an expensive upgrade.

There are other advantages in buying an AV amp though, as the overall sound quality will probably be better than that from your TV especially if you couple it to some decent speakers.

The obvious route for speakers would be to keep your existing Ruarks for front duties and buy a matching Ruark centre. Rears depend on budget and if very tight you could continue with the Toshiba speakers at the rear although they will be outclassed by the rest of the equipment.

6. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guy's , Thanks for the input I'm going to lock myself in a dark room to ponder my options ( all that means is think up excuses for more pocket money from she who must be obeyed:eek: ) She wears the trousers in our house and if I don't do as I am told I don't get into them:D :D ;) Will probably go and try to match up my original speakers with something compatible. The Toshiba speakers that come with the tv only have bell wire connections so I don't think I'll be using them. The Ruark speakers are a smashing pair really good deep sound so I suppose it's stick with what you know.