Help where to place surround Speakers?

ForceEdge

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. Thanks for checking out my thread! I’m looking to finally setup my gaming/movie room. (Don’t mind the mess it’s still a work in progress)

So, unfortunately I don’t have room behind my couch to place REAR surrounds. My couch is up against a wall. So, I’m likely going to stick with 5.1 and just do surrounds mounted on the wall behind listener. (Unless anyone has a better idea) But my problem is where and what speakers should I get and where should I place them. I want to stick with Klipsch because that’s my entire system besides Receiver.

I understand positioning is not ideal, but I have to work with what I got.

So onto my room size. From TV to back of couch it’s about 15 feet. When you’re sitting down on couch staring at TV the left side of room is entirely open and right side there’s a wall. (As you can see with pictures)

So I was looking to purchase with Klipsch RP 502S OR RP500SA. I attached a picture of them so you can see. I’ve been researching and some say direct firing and some say bifold/dipole for my placement/seating arrangements I’m not sure if the klipsch 502s support both? (The angled down wall mounted 500SA can be used as atmos or surround. I’d be using them for surround)
I do prefer the 502s because they will look nice wall mounted and won’t stick out as much, but I also want what’s best for my situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time setting up a system like this so and info/advice is greatly appreciated
My system I currently have.
Denon AVR 3500
Klipsch Bookshelf 600M (2) Left & Right
Klipsch Center 504C
Klipsch Sub SPL 150

Attachments

• IMG_9872.jpeg
    IMG_9872.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9875.jpeg
    IMG_9875.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9873.jpeg
    IMG_9873.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9882.png
    IMG_9882.png
    449.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9883.png
    IMG_9883.png
    396.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Personally, I'd go for the RP502S and mount them either side of the picture on your rear wall. If you're only going for a 5.1 setup then you can mount them a foot or so above ear level (which also means you won't be accidently bashing your head on them when sitting on the sofa).

Having them higher also tends to give a more ambient spread of sound for the rear soundstage. You'll get some sense of height with front to back sound pans etc even though it's not an Atmos setup.

Upvote 0
Okay great idea. Appreciate the feedback. So would you consider this position a good choice? And do you think the 502s with the two angled speakers would work well there considering there’d be one speaker aimed towards right wall and one aimed towards opened area? Sorry if I’m describing that bad (Considering the 502s have two speakers on each one)

I originally had a soundbar I was using (Samsung Q950A) with the surround speaker position on the side. I thought everything sounded pretty well. Only thing is if there were 2 people sitting on the couch If person on left was near left speaker you’d hear sounds great, but right speaker not as much. And vise versa

I’m just hoping your suggestion would mitigate this problem. Thank you!

IMG_9873.jpeg

Upvote 0
I notice you're from the States, so not sure if they sell Monitor Audio speakers
If they do, I'd also consider their FX range. These are bi/dipole switchable surround speakers and designed for use when your seating is against a wall. I use them in my 5.2.4 setup very effectively.

Upvote 0
Yes, in those positions with a bit of leeway for final adjustment. As those are Dipole/Bipole you'll get more ambient sound from them, so that can help when the seating or room placement isn't always ideal.

Being higher than your current speakers should also help when there are other people on the sofa.

Obviously not much you can do about the open plan to one side, but I think those speakers will help as you'll have some sound going out in that direction. They should give a nice wide soundstage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I notice you're from the States, so not sure if they sell Monitor Audio speakers
If they do, I'd also consider their FX range. These are bi/dipole switchable surround speakers and designed for use when your seating is against a wall. I use them in my 5.2.4 setup very effectively.
Thanks and yes I am from the states! Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the 502s are bipole so would they essentially work the same?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks and yes I am from the states! Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the 502s are bipole so would they essentially work the same?

Thanks!
Yes indeed they are. I had to Google to confirm (for myself!). Tbf, here in blighty Klipsch as a brand are on the pricier side, so often.overcooked by UK buyers!

You are correct, they will give the same effect as the FX's

Upvote 0
Yes, in those positions with a bit of leeway for final adjustment. As those are Dipole/Bipole you'll get more ambient sound from them, so that can help when the seating or room placement isn't always ideal.

Being higher than your current speakers should also help when there are other people on the sofa.

Obviously not much you can do about the open plan to one side, but I think those speakers will help as you'll have some sound going out in that direction. They should give a nice wide soundstage.
So I just wanted to show you guys what I did for a trial run. Here are the options I came up with. Let me know what you think.

So I was trying to figure the best way to mount these so I drew up a couple of design brackets, went to Home Depot, picked up material and got to work.

So I took the 500s (on the left) and mounted them on a bracket I made that swivels so I can turn them and face them directly towards MLP.

Now on the right..

I put the 502s on the same swivel bracket and mounted them

What do you guys think I should go with? It might not be the best idea but I’m working with what I got.

To be honest. They both sound great! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_9910.jpeg
    IMG_9910.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9909.jpeg
    IMG_9909.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9908.jpeg
    IMG_9908.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9907.jpeg
    IMG_9907.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9906.jpeg
    IMG_9906.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9905.jpeg
    IMG_9905.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9904.jpeg
    IMG_9904.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9911.jpeg
    IMG_9911.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ForceEdge

Only you can decide what sounds best but I'd still go with the 502's.

Neat idea with the brackets though as it gives you some extra flexibility. :smashin:
Thank you appreciate it! I have a question about the 502s. Since they are not angled down firing directly at MLP like the 500s are, would that give a lesser experience when it comes to the 502s? Since the 502s are firing straight out?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
@ForceEdge

Only you can decide what sounds best but I'd still go with the 502's.

Neat idea with the brackets though as it gives you some extra flexibility. :smashin:
Was about to say pretty much the same. I'd definitely go with the 502's personally. But then I might be biased - as I run bi/dipoles myself. Fwiw I also think the 502's "look" better...

Such a simple (yet ingenious idea re the brackets too). Well done @ForceEdge 👍🏼

Upvote 0
Thank you appreciate it! I have a question about the 502s. Since they are not angled down firing directly at MLP like the 500s are, would that give a lesser experience when it comes to the 502s? Since the 502s are firing straight out?

Thanks again!
The 502's are bipole speakers. As such they should imo offer a more dispersed sound than the 500's. From a personal experience, I much prefer the dispersed sound vs direct radiating for surrounds. Especially as (like you) my seating is plumb against my rear wall.

Upvote 0

Thanks again!

I think it boils down to personal preference. I like a bit more diffuse surround stage so have Tripoles on the rear wall. They aren't aimed at the MLP but I still get sound panning around behind me as well as out to the side walls along with good front to back imaging.

If a sound effect is mixed to come from the surround right then that's where it comes from. Tripoles tend to give the best of both worlds.

As you have both types of speaker there I'd try them both out then pick which ones sound best to you. In your room, with your nifty brackets I'd use the 502's and start with them angled in so that one driver is firing across the rear wall towards the other speaker.

I'd then swivel them back to a central position, try that and then I'd swivel them out and see how that sounds.

Upvote 0
The 502's are bipole speakers. As such they should imo offer a more dispersed sound than the 500's. From a personal experience, I much prefer the dispersed sound vs direct radiating for surrounds. Especially as (like you) my seating is plumb against my rear wall.
I think it boils down to personal preference. I like a bit more diffuse surround stage so have Tripoles on the rear wall. They aren't aimed at the MLP but I still get sound panning around behind me as well as out to the side walls along with good front to back imaging.

If a sound effect is mixed to come from the surround right then that's where it comes from. Tripoles tend to give the best of both worlds.

As you have both types of speaker there I'd try them both out then pick which ones sound best to you. In your room, with your nifty brackets I'd use the 502's and start with them angled in so that one driver is firing across the rear wall towards the other speaker.

I'd then swivel them back to a central position, try that and then I'd swivel them out and see how that sounds.
Thanks again for the replies and insight. Always appreciated! So I’m going to test both out. Which movie scenes should I run to really test a 5.1 system?

Upvote 0
Thanks again for the replies and insight. Always appreciated! So I’m going to test both out. Which movie scenes should I run to really test a 5.1 system?
Do you have Ford vs Ferrari (Le Mans '66)? The opening of that has a great sound pan around the room.

Upvote 0
Pod Race Scene in Phantom Menance is great too!

Edit: That's on Disney+ if you subscribe

Upvote 0
Do you have Ford vs Ferrari (Le Mans '66)? The opening of that has a great sound pan around the room.
On Blu-ray no but Is that on a streaming service?

On Disney plus, Netflix, Hulu, HBO and Amazon prime. Anything you can recommend from that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ideally you want to test with your own favourite movies, stuff which you know well so you have a good reference point of better/worse.

That said, if you have Oblivion there’s a great panning effect near the start where he lands in the baseball pitch. The ships engines pan around all of the speakers as he lands.

Upvote 0
On Blu-ray no but Is that on a streaming service?

I have Disney plus, Netflix, Hulu, HBO and Amazon prime. Anything you can recommend from that?

It's on Disney+. Also on that you could try Prey.

On Netflix - A Quiet Place (Part Two).

Upvote 0
those speakers are a bit high? does the sound come from ear level or above you?
you can compensate by sitting further away from the speakers.

i use regular monopole speakers. no bipoles or anything of that nature. so thats my view on them. people always argure the bipoles are better etc but nobody ends up wining the arguments so i dont even really try to debate it much.

for a demo scene to try. ready player one chapter 2 race scene. disk is best quality.

best regards.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom